Ballet Talk for Dancers

classes in Houston or Austin

silentlysailing

I have been going to the classes but it turns out that the school (texas a&m) decided to cancel the ballet 1 due to not having enough students. Last week I did 5 ballet classes & 2 pilates. I could keep up in the ballet 1 which was a mixed level class minus a little bit at the end when she made it more advanced. With that I figure that I could pull a regular beginner class. I could see the progress within myself with it more than the other class. So now I'm stuck with the once a week basics class and am looking for another few places to go. I looked locally around college station but one only offers a class that I could make on saturday and the other I hadn't heard anything from and I'm unsure if they accept adults. I'm now looking at Houston as it is the largest and closest major city albeit it's 90 miles away. Plus I know that driving there several times a week costs a lot and is a bit of time but I really really want to learn and want to take it seriously. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. I know about the Houston ballet open beginner class and will probably try and go to it. I've looked around but most don't offer adult classes or they are higher level. I'm looking for more to fill my schedule in as for me my interest has only grown since starting though. Any ideas on where to look would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Natalie

Edited by silentlysailing
  • Administrators

Natalie, surely there is a city closer than 90 miles???

Navasota, Hearne, Caldwell & Hempstead but they are a small towns with no dance studios. A&M and College station are out in the middle of no where. The school is by no means is an arts school. I'm in Agricultural Economics. Conroe, The Woodlands & Cypress are a touch closer but they are suburbs of Houston. It's 90 miles to the inner loop(610). Austin is a little over a hundred miles.

• Administrators

Wow, you are really out there. Sorry to hear that, and wish I could help you. I know there are schools in the Woodlands, but not familiar with the other areas.

I started looking at a few places in Austin just out of curiosity and it seems like it would be a lot easier to fill up a week so it may be worth the few extra miles for the ability to have class everyday. A couple places I was looking at was Ballet Austin and the Tapestry dance company and their adult classes as they seem to offer a ton. I noticed that there were more threads that talked about the schools in general in Austin so I will probably look into them.

Hi silentlysaling,

If you are looking at Houston classes, I would suggest:

1. Hope Stone Dance, Inc (caters to mostly adults)

2. The Houston Metropolitan Dance Center (teens and adults together)

3. Houston Ballet open classes (caters to mostly adults)

4. Houston Academy of Dance (mostly teens)

In the Woodlands, I would suggest Boni's Dance and Performing Arts Studio or Payne Academy of Ballet. If you head into Spring there is the Studio of Dance (off of Champions Forest Drive), Progressions Performing Arts, or North Harris Performing Arts.

You are right about College Station being in the middle of nowhere. Are there no dance studios in Bryan?

• 2 weeks later...

I took at the American Academy of Dance which is in Klein/Spring while I was student teaching in Spring. It would be closer than driving all the way into Houston and they had a very respectable ballet program, and were very good with adults.

I know that BCS have dance studios, though none are ballet specific (or were when I was at A&M) but you might try dropping in to see if you can find one that is at least "good enough". Additionally, while the KINE classes for ballet were always way too early in the morning (they started at the same time the buses started to run) for me to take, the Dance Arts Society offered free ballet classes for its members. Is that an option for you?

I do know that there are a couple but right now over the summer the courses got really narrowed down everywhere. KINE fills up fast too and all of the classes are have been full since I started here and they have a wait list. As is for all of my senior level classes even, I have force requests as they are all full. Plus the dance arts society's website doesn't show any ballet classes for last spring since most clubs go dormant over the summer. I still plan on trying to see how the club is in the fall. I don't know if it's a summer thing or what but the classes are non existant right now or they are on days/times that don't work for me. I've been doing 5 ballet classes & 2 pilates classes a week. I did 6 this last week, including my first long class that was 2 1/2 hours with out the pilates as I was trying out studios and it takes time to drive to them. So for 1 class it takes about 6-7 hours a day to get there and back with time spent in class.

Currently my schedule goes from 8 in the morning till 11:30 then I eat and take a 1-2hr nap then leave for class at 4, get there early to park & stretch a little bit prior to class, then I leave getting back in between 10 & 11 go to bed by 12:30 then wake up at 6:45 and start my day over doing homework. I know though that from the start I was in pretty good shape though. Plus I was used to working full-time and being a full-time student at the same time before while pulling my little proud 3.5 average. I know that I kinda dived in but I was serious about really wanting to learn & seeing how far I could go. To me I love it as it frees my mind of everything else in my life and I enjoy it more than I thought I would. Thursdays I stay in town for class and consider it me time and friday is my day off as I can't seem to find any classes for it. That should help clarify a little bit on how I can do so much & why. I started going to ballet austin regularly as I liked the classes after I dropped down from what the teacher considered elementary. The teacher gives quite a bit of feedback which I like and they have a student discount.