Ballet Talk for Dancers

Walk or run??

Guest LizzieDancer12

Guest LizzieDancer12

I am a beginner in dancing and I just read in an old thread that running is bad for dancers...but they said on cement...what if it's on a treadmill? Or would it just be better to walk on the treadmill? Mm...arial indigo

Hi, Arial, and welcome to the Young Dancers' Forums here at Ballet Talk on Ballet Alert! Online!

Running on a grass or clay track is probably the least impactful of the running surfaces, but the surface isn't the real problem here. Ballet dancers, when they run, tend to run with turnout, and the forelegs flail loosely in the air behind the runner, leading to more than possible injuries to the knee. Coaches who train to "improve" the running gait end up working muscles which cause turn-in, which is not good for ballet dancers.

If it's an option, walk!

Guest Hilz

I run usually every day before I go to school. Is this a really bad idea? I've been doing it for a while, but if its going to affect my dancing, I would stop straight away. :D

Be your own judge. Are you running with the toes straight ahead or turned out? Do the forelegs make these amazing circles behind you as they flail in the air, or is the leg entirely controlled through the entire stride? (You're going to need an outside observer for this one) You could be reinforcing turn-in by running correctly, and it would be better just to walk for a longer time, than to run.

Guest Hilz

I think I will just walk from now on- I really don't want to do anything that will affect my dancing. Thanx :D

Hilz xxx

I know this question was brought up before in another thread somewhere but I can't seem to find it. O well! I have gym this semester and we have to run two laps around the courts, bases, or whatever we're doing that week. But I was wondering if this would do major harm since we're not running a long distance. But everybody has to run everyday and we just ran the mile so I was wondering if just running 2 laps would be that serious to my knees and turnout.

~*Meghan*~

P.S. My knees get really discomforted and I'm using this relief cream called Super Blue Stuff. It was kind've expensive and I was wondering if anyone else has used this and it works for them. It does for me for like 5-10 min then comes back.

Sounds like the Famous Flailing Flyaway Foreleg problem, where the foreleg actually does circles in the air behind you as you run. Now, two laps is a very variable measurement. To me, that means two laps around a 440-yard track, which comes out to a half-mile. Too much! See if you can't get a physician's order to cut the running, and substitute some other activity instead. If it hurts - something's wrong!