Ballet Talk for Dancers
bruyere

Doing Own Hair...When?

LizDancer

Progress to report--DD did part of own bun this week. I had to work late and DD did hair vs. DH doing hair. Yay! :clapping:

momcantdance

Been reading this carefully, she will have to do her own at the SI.

She has thick wavy hair. Do you think it would help to trim it? It is really long right now.

Double elastics, gel and spray... any other advice on doing your own?

mom2

Sometimes it's easier to do the bun with long hair (and probably easier to find someone to help you...). With respect to trimming, if you are going to do this I'd do it well before the SI as those blunt ends can be more challenging to work with than the tapered ends you find with long hair that hasn't been trimmed in a while.

NikkisMamma

My DD is 10 1/2 and a perfectionist (classic type A). It's only been this semester that she has finally been happy enough with her bun to do it herself. It was really hard for her the get the perfect cinnamon roll down, and it'sstill not *perfect* but passable with a hair net, LOL! She does want to do it herself for performances, but I put my foot down on that for now. Most of the girls in her class (aged 10-14) do their own buns but the vast majority of them just throw their hair up in a pony and fasten it with some pins/hair elastics, they don't do a proper ballet bun.

The studio encourages them to do their own bun and has a "bun making class" at summer intensive around 9-10yo.

LizDancer

Happy to report that DD has finally taken over her own bun making after much anxiety about it. She accepted an away SI so she was going to have to figure it out. Lo and behold she can make a perfect flat cinnamon roll bun. She must have been paying attention all of these years. DD is 11.

jflyte

I still do DD's (age 9 1/2) bun, but it always looks like a door knob. :( Her hair is super straight. I'm hoping she can learn to do it herself and do a better job!

daisychain

jflyte, I still do DD's hair as well (she's 11), although she's showing some interest in trying it on her own. To be honest, her hair is just tricky, and it will take awhile for her to master the self-made bun.

DD has super mega thick hair, so her bun is always huge even when her hair is just below shoulder length. It will never be tight and flat against her head, because there is just too much of it. To prevent the doorknob look, I've found the key (in our case) is to pin the hair as we go, intead of coiling it all up and then sticking pins in. If I tack it down as I go, it has less of a tendency to pile up in a blob.

threegirlpileup

Right around when she turned 11, my dd's teacher told her it was time for her to start doing her own hair. She took this edict quite seriously and although it took a little while, she is now much better at it than I am.

jflyte

We use a lot of hairspray and spray gel for the bun too, but I find that it leaves a residue on the hair. I have her wash her hair with clarifying shampoo, but it doesn't really do the job well. Do any of you have suggestions for hair care between ballet lessons? I worry that all the spray and gel is bad for her hair, or even her health.

buzzandmoo

After buns every day of the week I can safely say that the health of the hair is directly proportional to the cost of product you use. We have tried cheap and we have tried expensive and the winner for us is Paul Mitchell Spray Gel. Regular gels have too much alcohol in them causing dry/breakage issues. Ditto for cheap hairspray. Wetting the hair beforehand seems like a solution but it causes too much stress on the hair again causing breakage. The Paul Mitchell product holds and allows DD to brush her hair afterward so she doesn't have to wash her hair (let's face it, some nights she is just too darn tired!) Just so you know, DD's hair is ridiculously thick and due to her mixed parentage it is both glossy straight AND has wave/curl! We have found that less is more with hair products. Try a moisturizing shampoo; it will actually lift the product off without stripping the hair.

Good luck!

jflyte

Thanks, buzzandmoo. I will try the Paul Mitchell gel and a moisturing shampoo. DD doesn't wash her hair every day either. She's homeschooled, so I figure, why wash it if it's just going to be geled and sprayed and put right back up? It seems that the hair is more likely to be damaged if its constantly washed every day than if it's not. DD's hair is on the dryer side, like mine.

I can't help but wonder if any of these products are absorbed into the scalp, but, then again, I remember in the 80's spraying and moussing my "big" hair every morning before school, and, so far, I've turned out OK.

Mdballetmom

My DD has been doing her own since she was about 9. Her teacher talked to the class and said by the time you were in ballet 2 you should be able to do your own bun. Only took a little while and Dd had it down. now she's 12 and usually dies it in the car on the way to class. She has long straight hair, no bangs and does the pony tail, two wrapped sections. If your dd has different type hair, super thick, curly etc. there are other techniques that work too. She also uses a spray bottle of 4 parts water one part hair spray. She hates the stiff feeling of hair spray and that little bit is enough to take care of the wispies and will still let her brush it out easily.

NikkisMamma

9 mo later... DD does hers almost exclusively now , lots of times in the car on the way to class. :) When *I* do it (once/week we're in such a rush that she has to spend the car time eating, not doing her hair) I use spray gel (usually Herbal Essences, it works well on her hair) and it does look a little nicer than her own. *She* prefers to not use any product at all. She has mostly straight, very fine and quite long hair. We do the ponytail-into-2-twisted-sections, pin-as-you-go cinnamon roll bun. It's pretty easy in her hair. The Bunhead bun pins (we use 2") are invaluable.

She only washes her hair about twice/week, sometimes 3 times. Our hair type gets really frazzled and dry with more washings... lots of times she likes sleeping with the bun and then taking it out in the morning for wavy hair.

My other daughter doesn't do dance but every now and then she'll ask me to do a bun for gymnastics.... *her* hair is very thick and a bit shorter, it seems no matter how hard I try hers never looks as nice and flat, always has little parts sticking out and is much harder to pin down nicely as I go. I'm glad she's not the ballerina!

buzzandmoo

jflyte......OMG dont I know it! LOL Do you remember "Stiff Stuff"? When I think of how awful that stuff was (I think you could literally glue a cat to a wall with that stuff) and you are right I'm still functioning...... :dizzy:

Sorry, slight off-topic detour! :blush:

jflyte

Thanks for the chuckle, buzzandmoo! I laughed at the image of glueing a cat to a wall!

Ahem, now back to the topic. This is a helpful thread. I'm going to try the two strand ponytail tomorrow. I'm going to start working on the flat cinnamon bun look for two performances at the end of the year. The little "bun-holders" work well for class, but eventually, I want DD to have a "real" ballerina bun for every class. Thanks for the great suggestions!