Ballet Talk for Dancers
bruyere

Doing Own Hair...When?

shelbylove86

DD is 10, and did her own hair a few times with moderate success, but we always seem to be in such a hurry that I usually end up doing it. I told her it's time to really get serious about this because she's almost 11 and should be able to do her own hair! (She also just went up on pointe, so I like the idea that if you're old enough for pointe shoes, you're old enough to do your own hair!)

I'm curious about separating the ponytail into two strands...I've seen that look, but have no idea how to execute it. Any advice? Is it easier for kids to do it themselves with this method?

MamatoMary

I can't help but wonder if any of these products are absorbed into the scalp, but, then again, I remember in the 80's spraying and moussing my "big" hair every morning before school, and, so far, I've turned out OK.

"The higher the hair the closer to God"

But, seriously, DD uses the Herbal Essences Spray Gel and nothing else. She does her bun first (and she has now thankfully grown out her pesky layers) and just uses the gel to tame the whispies. She has several girls who beg her to do their buns, so I guess she does an OK job.

tuturoo

My DD started doing her own bun reagularly by the age of 12. She is very particular and told me I wasn't doing it right! They start doing each others hair and make-up for performances about that age and I feel like it is part of the social aspect of ballet. It helps the girls unify as a group. Also, about that age, the studios have sessions and even You Tube videos for the girls to teach them exactly how they want things done. I know of one girl at the age of 13 who's mother would follow her into the dressing room to do her hair and make-up and the poor kid was really embarrassed.

Blanche

shelbylove86, with the two-strand method, one half is wrapped clockwise and the other counterclockwise. The first strand wrapped gets wrapped under the other, which is left sticking through, and the first strand is pinned as you wrap. Then the second strand is wrapped on the outside of the first, again pinning as you go around. With this method, you get a "cinnamon bun" effect. For thick hair, it's a little easier to get a flatter bun this way, and for thinner hair, it actually makes the bun look bigger.

shelbylove86

Thank you, Blanche! My DD has very long, thick hair, so I'm going to give this a try! (And then encourage her to do the same!)

Edited by shelbylove86

Bunhead Mama

My DD 11 does her own bun now. Apparently she can get it flatter than I can. She won't even let me help other than to tell her where she left her hairpins. I have been downgraded from hair stylist to finder. :ermm:

Clpretzel

DD10 does her own bun, but prefers for me to do the ponytail. If she does it the ponytail is very low.

Katya

DD started doing her own hair at 9 years old. She did not really want to do it, but we are a commuting ballet family, and I kept asking her to try on days that we were stuck in traffic, until eventually she succeeded!

Of course, I still do the bun for the show.

pasdedeuxmama

I never thought I'd get to contribute to this thread, but when I got home from work tonight my 9 1/2 year old daughter surprised me with "Guess what? I can do my own bun now!" She's been watching the other girls in her studio summer program doing their own hair and each other's hair and decided to try it out. According to her, the best part is that she 'only needs FIVE bobby pins!'. I'll be doing the performance buns for a while yet :D

Actually now that she's figured it out, I'm a little sad. She has gorgeous cornsilk hair and I'll miss playing with it.

Guest Blossoming ballerina

Well I am feeling very slack.

my dd was 14 before she attempted to do her bun.

Actually I just told her, if she wants to dance she needs to do her own hair.

So now she does her own her, twists and all.

She hardly uses any sprays or gels. It just sits nicely, She does have very thin hair and is conscious of what she calls- a doorknob bun..

:clapping: .

daisychain

DD age 11 put her hair in a bun this week for the first time, too! :clapping: I decided that she needed to get some practice in this year before possibly attending an away SI for the first time next summer. Her hair is long and thick and hard to manage. To my surprise, she executed a perfectly acceptable bun the first time. Except for a few wispies, it was as good as my efforts. So much for needing a year to perfect it!

Guest Blossoming ballerina

Great news daisychain,

It's o nice when it frees you up.

It great for us now. We leave at 8ish on Saturdays for her ballet day and for my adult class. So it gives me 10 extra minutes for me !!

Jbp

My DD started doing buns at age 11.

Edited by dancemaven
Removed "I heard" comment per BT4D first hand information only policy.

Noodles

DD is 11 and we have been having this conversation. It is time for her to take on her own hair.

She can't quite get the ponytail up high enough but she can do the bun, IF she has the time to try. Usually we are in a hurry so I just do it. I need to stop doing that!

MamatoMary

Noodles, my DD flips her head upside down and brushes it sleek to get her ponytail high enough. Sometimes it takes her 2-3 tries, but she can get it up in a minute or two.