Ballet Talk for Dancers
bruyere

Doing Own Hair...When?

Noodles

Noodles, my DD flips her head upside down and brushes it sleek to get her ponytail high enough. Sometimes it takes her 2-3 tries, but she can get it up in a minute or two.

Good tip! I will have her start doing it herself once we get through Nutcracker. We are always on the go (who on this board isn't?) and I do what I can to help things move smoothly and keep us on time....however at her age she really should know how to do it. Sometimes mommy 'help' turns into mommy 'hindrance'. Sometimes the lines blur. :-)

NikkisMamma

Noodles, my dd usually does her bun during the 15min car ride to ballet. She uses a lot more pins than I do, and I do still do her hair for performances, but other than that I don't touch it. She just turned 12. She doesn't like the way I do it anymore.... My way looks better but her buns are getting really decent and she very seldom gets frustrated with it anymore.

Noodles

Good suggestion, I could have her practice on the ride to class, although we are only about 5 mins away.

So are mirrors not helpful...should they just learn to do it by feel?

kr12

Have her practice when there isn't a time crunch to get it done. If they feel rushed, they just get frustrated... DD was slow the first attempt and it was a little messy, but after she did it a few times, it was fine.

Noodles

I had DD do her bun in the car. Worked like a charm. She is totally capable but picky. She did grumble that it 'wasn't perfect' ...duh, this is your first real attempt! I did offer to re-do it at the studio, but of course she won't take me up on that because she doesn't want anyone to see her mommy doing her bun...LOL. I think I just outsmarted her :-)

Thank you Nikkismamma for the great idea. Once we get this one down we will work on the pony!

buzzandmoo

I have been sitting here debating offering my two cents.....my tactic was pure incompetence. LOL My DD took over bun duty around the age of 9/10, around the time they started learning turns...."mom, your buns are pretty but they fly out when I spot so you are fired." Truly one of the funniest dance moments.

pasdedeuxmama

Love it! My daughter (newly 10) refuses to let me do it either.

HPJenkins

My 8yo DD refuses to let her mom if her hair anymore... Too independent thank goodness. Otherwise when mom isn't around I'd have to go the hair.

GGJ

DD started doing her own hair part of the time at age 10 when I got tired of hearing her complaints about the way I did her bun. I had her practice on the weekends when she didn't have dance and we weren't rushed. Due to studio politics/favoritism, she was expressing interest in going away to summer intensives to get away from the studio drama. I told her if she wanted to go away for the summer, then she had to be able to do her own hair. She watched various YouTube videos, and after several failed attempts, finally got the hang of doing her own bun. She completely started doing her own hair at 10.5. She still watches YouTube videos to get variations with braids, etc. with her bun.

meilingsmama

Late 9 early ten here. It's nice to be free of doing buns all the time.

Line

My oldest started doing her own hair, occasionally, around 10. When she turned 12 one of her ballet teacher's sat the whole class down and taught them how to style their hair into the same style of bun. My DD would then never let me do her bun ever again. I rather miss doing it for exams, as I think I make a rather pretty, slick, tidy bun (at least in my own opinion), however she's quite independent now and won't let me.

Now it's time to get my younger daughter (now 10) started doing her own. She might need a little push to try doing it herself.

DanceMumNYC

I'm so glad I found this post! My dd 10 still cannot do her own hair! Dd began doing her own ponytails just a few months ago when she was still 9. They are still very loose and sloppy. I would never let her go to school or dance like that, so I often re-do it. (If we are just in the house, I leave it alone). I think, "If she can't even do her own ponytail, how's she ever going to do a bun?" One mom pointed out that it might take dd more time to get the hang of it because her hair is very long. Dd is becoming frustrated and even asked to cut her hair :blink:. How long did it take your child to master a ponytail and then a bun? Also, does anyone have any bun tips for girls with longer hair?

Mom de deux

My long haired DD, now 13 started doing her own bun around age 10. Your daughter may already be doing these things, so I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, but here are our tips for the long-hair bun. 1. Pin as you go, don't just make it and pin at the end. 2. Section the hair. This REALLY helps when the dancer has long and/or thick hair. Instead of one big swirl in the bun, section the hair into 2-4 pieces and wrap each of those into the bun, again pinning as you go.

Good luck! I was actually a little wistful when she didn't need my help anymore.

loveballet

For my DDs (long, thick hair), pony tails were actually hardest part.  They master how to do the bun first, but could not do tight and high pony tail.  - I did their pony tail and DD did the bun for a while. So let her try to make her own bun, even she cannot do her pony tail.  

Noodles

Ponytails were also the hardest for my longhaired girl. Specifically, a clean smooth pony was difficult. She typically flips her head upside down and brushes it smooth. 

For the bun, I agree with Mom de duex, pin as you go and dividing into sections (we called it a cinnamon bun) is pretty and easier to secure. Also, use good U shaped pins, not bobby pins.