Ballet Talk for Dancers
Victoria Leigh

Music: Paquita music

Victoria Leigh

Thank you, baletmistresstdc. I will order this, as I would like to have that CD anyway, but I'm still hoping to find the orchestrated version. :huh:

Ballet Mistress tdc

Ms. Leigh, another option might me to convert a video file from Youtube.com or elsewhere to a MP3 file and then edit out the applause. I have done this using Zamzar and Audacity, respectively. Good luck. I hope you find the orchestrated version.

Victoria Leigh

Yes, I think that is probably what we are going to have to do. I was hoping to avoid that, if possible.

Momof3darlings

I found this info on one of the youtube videos of the variation. Not sure if the additional information might help you find it:

Variation danced by Mariana Ryzhkina. Music by Riccardo Drigo (1901). Variation for Pierina Legnani. When the great Legnani gave her final performance in Russia in 1901 before retiring to her native Italy, she performed in Lev Ivanov's revival of Petipa's 1872 "La Camargo", which told the story of how the 18th century dancer Marie Camargo & her sister Madeleine were abducted for one night by the Comte de Melun. Drigo wrote this variation especially for Legnani's performance, which is legendary in teh annals of ballet history - on that evening the great ballerina demonstrated just why she was the first to obtain the offical title of 'Prima ballerina assoluta'. It was very appropriate indeed for the greatest ballerina of the late 19th century to give her farewell performance as the greatest ballerina of the 18th century!

Possibly you have the music from La Camargo on something?

Mel Johnson

Most of the music in Camargo was by Minkus, but as we've said many times, it was no big deal in the Imperial Ballet to interpolate a piece of music by a different composer into a score. It was one of the things that the Diaghilev company was rebelling against.

Victoria Leigh

No, in fact I have never heard or seen the music to La Camargo. :sweating:

Lina

Don't know if this will help at all, or even if it is the right piece....but just in case!

Drigo Le Réveil de Flore (Flora's Awakening) - London Sym Orch/Richard Bonynge

Decca 433 863-2 28'46

Found on this web page:

http://www.abc.net.au/cgi-bin/common/print...es/s1879099.htm

Victoria Leigh

Lina, I have that, and the variation I'm looking for is not there. :) Thank you, though.

thecostumelady

Ms. Leigh, Did you ever find an orchestrated version? I'd like to use this variation in a May performance.

Victoria Leigh

No, I used the youtube one and edited, but it was still not very good. Could not get it completely clean.

thecostumelady

Thanks. I just called the Portland Ballet Youth Company to see if they could dig it up, since it is their YouTube video that first caught my eye. I'll let you know if they come up with an answer for future use.

Victoria Leigh

Great, thank you!

GTLS Designs

Recently I found this in my iTunes music library.... Minkus, L.: Bayadere (La) / Paquita [ballets], Boris Spassov, 1995. I am pretty sure I bought it on iTunes, and it seems to have ALL the variations.

athena_wiles

I also have the Boris Spassov recording, and while it does have something like 9 different variations on it, it unfortunately doesn't seem to have the one in question in this thread.

Victoria Leigh

No, it doesn't.