Ballet Talk for Dancers

Amie

Kittymomm, there were definitely some in DD's class who did solos at auditions, but I'm not sure how many of them did.  Her group started with a bit over 40 dancers and she did not get close to all of them.  But, DD did not do a solo and still did not hear until April.  It might depend on how many auditions take place in that year as to when dancers hear about acceptance.  I think part of the problem is that unlike most schools, they limit the audition to 20 dancers.  So, they have to do more auditions than most schools, and they are Canadian so they are on a different timetable than US schools.  (FYI my younger non-dancing kid is still waiting to hear from the last 4 colleges now.  They will tell her by April 1, and the uncertainty is killing everyone in our house, so I completely understand.) 

Also, I should warn you that dancers in this program should be prepared to work hard, have a good attitude, and progress in class.  They cannot relax on the fact that they were admitted to the program.  Some in DD's class did not truly dedicate themselves and/or the transition to a university program was too difficult.  They ended up being "encouraged to leave" the program (sometimes through academic probation).  There are mid-semester and end of semester conferences, so these dancers have plenty of notice to prepare options for the next year.  There was one dancer that DD was surprised had to leave...this dancer had very good technique but her attitude in class was, meh.  DD's class is now a little less than 30 dancers.  Apparently, this is typical of each class of students.  Dancers left to do other majors, other dance programs, jobs, and one had multiple injuries, so she is repeating the year.  If your DD is a hard worker she should be fine, but I just wanted to warn others who might not be serious about a dance career.

Amie

I spoke to DD last night...She said there are "plenty" of dancers in the program who had to do a solo during the audition.  No exact numbers, but definitely more than just a few.  She did say that the acceptances are sent out based on when the audition is done, in a sort of rolling admissions way.  Dancers that they aren't sure about  may hear later than others or may be waitlisted.  I think a couple of dancers didn't know for sure until May/June (this may be after others turned down the acceptance)?  Also, the professors said it may take longer to verify academics for international students (but DD did hear about 3 weeks or so after her audition).  And, kind of like SIs they did give less time to make a decision than regular college acceptances... I think DD had 2-3 weeks.  Not sure they do this for every one, but...anyone applying in the future should keep that in mind.

kittymomm

All of this is such great info Amie.  Part of the reason my DD wants to go to Ryerson is because from all the feedback we have received, she wants to continue to train with others in that intense training style.  She currently does a half day dance program + evenings + weekends while maintaining a 95% avg so she isn't shy of hard work thankfully.  She wants to continue to be able to train in multiple styles as well which put Ryerson at the top of the list.  

Also great to hear others did solos, I know that has been worrying her.  Apparently they said something similar about waitlisted kids - also that they aren't really waitlisted so much as holding spots for each audition to come.  I believe there are 8 auditions this year + however many submit videos.

We are in Canada so academics should not be too difficult to verify.  That said, as part of her curriculum is in a brick and mortar school and part are done online, her first report card did not show 3 of her grade 12 courses.  Maybe I should get in touch with the school to give them an updated transcript as we submitted back in December.

Thanks again for the info.  It's been hard to find anyone to ask questions of so this has been huge for both of us!

kittymomm

Sorry Amie one more question.  Did your DD find out via email or through RAMSS or ?  SFU called her with her acceptance which we thought was odd.  She hasn't actually received the letter yet although that acceptance shows online at SFU. 

TIA!

Amie

I'm pretty sure it was through her RAMSS account.  We got a letter in the mail too, I believe.  Best of luck!