Ballet Talk for Dancers to close ×
Ballet Talk for Dancers

Pre-Professional ballet schools

BallerinaMasha

I'm 13 years old and my ballet school has pretty decent training (some girls in the level above me go to major ballet school's summer intensives). But my school is somewhat small.. and I don't think i'm getting the training I need to become a ballerina. I want to get training at a major school that can prepare me for major ballet companies... I don't live in New York or anything so I cant go to American Ballet Theatre or any big ones like that.. but does anyone know any near Los Angeles? I tried looking but I'm not sure if any are very pre-professional.

Edited by BallerinaMasha

You might try the Los Angeles Ballet Academy. Andrea Gutierrez is the director. She and her faculty have trained quite a few wonderful ballet dancers.

Okay, thank you I'll check it out :) but my ballet school is smaller than a major one but still a pretty good size and the teachers teach well. I have friends in the level above me that go to ABT summer intensives. So if I work hard enough, will I have a chance at become a ballerina in at major company even though I dance at a not so famous ballet school? And I am planning on auditioning for San Fransisco and ABT summer intensives in the future to help.

Edited by BallerinaMasha
  • Administrators

Masha, what you need to become a dancer is talent and very good training. The training does not have to be in NY or any other "major" city. It is the quality of the training, and the quantity as well, that is important. The size of the school is not a determining factor at all. There are many, many very good schools outside of huge cities and not connected to major companies.

• 1 year later...

Oops! A parent wandered into the Young Dancers' Forum by mistake and a post had to be removed.

Dance Freak, the original poster was asking about schools in Los Angeles . . . . not New York City. :)

• Administrators

Dance freak, we do not allow recommendations for specific schools here, and, you need to read the original post before responding. If you had read the original post, you would know that the poster is on the other side of the country from NY. Have you attended the two schools you recommended? If not, you cannot talk about them. If you have, then write a review about your experience in the SI forum.