Ballet Talk for Dancers

RAD 'bashing'?

Guest ballet_shalom_forever

A few dancers I know said that RAD isn't a very good ballet method and that it focuses on presentation more than on actual technique. Franckly I don't know what they meant by 'presentation', but I'm wondering why do they say that? I've also heard them mention that Checcetti, Vaganova and the Frech method are the way to go and that few companies if any, train RAD.

Are these things true?

Thanks,

Ballet_shalom :(

I've got some very bad news for those dancers you've heard. No company outside of the Paris Opéra uses the Paris Opéra method, and that's not the only "French" method. The term "French method" per se is essentially meaningless. Very few people outside of the Vaganova Institute and like schools in Russia are getting unvarnished Vaganova, whatever that might be, and Cecchetti is used by what major company? All these are teaching methods, which get a dancer to a point where further development above the simple curriculum, to the point of being a finished product as a dancer, with the versatility to respond to style and feeling, with appropriate musicality and professional demeanor, may occur. The RAD method is just one method of getting there, as are all the others. One is just as good as another, and much depends, obviously, on the knowledge and skill of the teachers thereof. Nobody I know, even in NYCB, even dances "pure" Balanchine anymore, because he is dead, and nobody knows for sure what "pure" might be now if he weren't. Dancers entering the professional world are exposed to all sorts of influences by the time they hit their first job, or should have been, anyway.

that's funny, because i experienced it the other way. especially in the vocational track (and then especially intermediate) is about technique. they want everything right. most of the examiners look at technique rather than performance. i think that it is one of the pro's of the new marking system...you'll get points for you performance (you can earn 10 points). in the recreational track, and then especially the higher grades, it is more about performance and style.

my teacher also said that after you passed intermediate, you are allowed to do more about presentation. i don't know whether this is true, but still she wants us to perform in the intermediate exam too.

~SKIP~

Basically, I guess what we're trying to tell you here is that whoever is filling your ears with this balloon juice is just "trash-talking" and has as a primary objective the demoralization of the audience(you). It's bosh -- don't buy into it.;)

Thanks Major Mel, thanks skip.

Well I've heard that the National Ballet of Canada trains Checchetti, and only a little bit of RAD.

Ballet_shalom :)

Nope, NBC has their own proprietary curriculum and syllabi now. A few years ago, it was heavily Cecchetti, but things are different now.