Ballet Talk for Dancers
dancingjon

Tights - Shiny or Matte

dancingjon

Hi Guys,

I need a new pair of tights, I currently wear cotton lycra leggings in class with a pair of black socks, however they are heavy and horrid when a little sweaty so I want some footed dance tights.

I am just wondering which people prefer whether to go for a pair of matte tights like Capezio or WearMoi or something a little shiner like Mstevens etc?

There isn't a local dance store where I can really try them on, and to be honest I have tried the Capezio before and I don't think they are really opaque enough...

So which do you prefer?

Thanks in advance!

Jon

Mel Johnson

I don't particularly care whether tights are shiny or not, as long as they don't run easily!

olddude

I wear M Stevens mostly, about half nylon and half cotton. The cotton is nicer in winter, nylon in summer; other than that it makes no difference to me. In summer I tell my wife it's my "Captain Shinypants" outfit and she laughs - that's about the only distinction it makes in my life. If you have a show coming up, consult the choreographer early - if you have to get something new, it may take a while. I keep a pair of white nylon tights around because nylon is easily dyed - but I've never had to do it.

Robert

Nylon Matte. Shiny tights just brings back too much of the 80s for me.

gcwhitewater

For class; good old Capezio men's nylon. (Old habits die hard.)

For performance white: The wardrobe mistress for the company I was in made them for those of us guesting. They were a non-shiny cotton/lycra. Closest on the market would be the M-stevens. I not only dislike the feel of the shinny, I don't like the look of them either. Personal preferences :yucky:

MJ

The old fashioned Capezio tights get baggy around the knees after a while, they don't have the "stretch and hold" like nylon lycra does.

SwanPrince

I prefer the M stevens for class (cheaper) And the mens Mirella tights for performance, The white isn't see-thru,(stage white) and they have the back seams which contour the legs, they're by far the most attractive tights... and the most expensive. They run about $47 dollars retail, think you can get them cheaper on-line

Kini
I prefer the M stevens for class (cheaper) And the mens Mirella tights for performance, The white isn't see-thru,(stage white) and they have the back seams which contour the legs, they're by far the most attractive tights... and the most expensive. They run about $47 dollars retail, think you can get them cheaper on-line

Does M Stevens have a online store? Found this page with google search http://www.mstevens-dancewear.com/main.html but its just an inactive page.

JHC
Does M Stevens have a online store? Found this page with google search http://www.mstevens-dancewear.com/main.html but its just an inactive page.

I don't believe M Stevens maintains an online store, but their products are available at www.tutu.com (footed/footless men's tights, dance belts, men's leotards, and dance shirts I believe). Also, www.welovecolors.com sells M Stevens footed/footless men's tights. Incidentally, most online dance stores sell M Stevens tights, but the two pages I've listed offer a good variety beyond the standard black/footed tights.

Kini

I don't believe M Stevens maintains an online store, but their products are available at www.tutu.com (footed/footless men's tights, dance belts, men's leotards, and dance shirts I believe). Also, www.welovecolors.com sells M Stevens footed/footless men's tights. Incidentally, most online dance stores sell M Stevens tights, but the two pages I've listed offer a good variety beyond the standard black/footed tights.

ahhhh thanks!

Philip

In class, for my students, matte regular nylon tights. Lycra came in when I was still a dancer. When I was a dancer, I didn't like the shiny material. It didn't let my legs breath. I sweat in them profusely.

Back in the late 70s and 80s, they were all the rage. (Now, I personally find them as declasse' as the junk they wear at commercial "wanna be a star" type competitions...but, hey, that's just my take.) Shiny reflects stage lights. Glitter n' Gold just ain't my thing. I think just tights are fine.

An aside. When I was a young trainee with the now long National Ballet of Washington (DC) and they went belly-up, they had a sale some antique tights on sale made of silk I bought for the heck of it. (I think they may have been Freddy Franklin's!) They shined like lycra and the new polymers they have out now. What goes around comes around, hmm.

ChrisB

Hey there

I prefer shiny to matte any day and have two pairs of shiny Lycra high waist leggings by Mariia one in navy and the other in black which I currently wear for class.

I started wearing shiny Lycra tights when I was 14 for a pas de deux performance I was doing at a dance festival I was taking part in.

there were two other boys in my class and the lady who looked after the performance costumes only took three pairs of male tights, two were white cotton and the third was a silver/grey pair in shiny Lycra  and of course  like the other two boys In my class I wore cotton tights and as you can imagine when I saw the shiny Lycra tights I was determined not to be the boy who had no choice but to wear them as us boys thought shiny Lycra was way too girly and thought boys who wore it were sissies.

anyway when it come to change into our stage costumes ( the other two boys had solo performances on the same day) I came into the dressing room wearing my tunic and to my horror the two other boys had taken and were wearing the cotton tights which left the silver/grey shiny Lycra tights for me to wear.

Of course I cringed at the thought of having to wear shiny Lycra tights but had no choice as I really couldn’t go out on stage in my tunic and underwear.

so I took a deep breath and gritted my teeth and with taunts of “hey it’s captain shiny bottom”, “sissy sissy sissy” and “puff the magic dragon lived by the sea” I put them on.

and I actually had the last laugh because as it was my turn to go on stage for my pas de deux performance I found that he shiny Lycra were comfortable to wear, easy to move in and as I sweated under the hot stage lights the stayed dry as the other two boys who wore the white cotton tights had embarrassing wet patches on them which made my and the girl I was dancing with giggle.

After wearing them I found that I liked them and kept them on to wear for my solo performance which was that afternoon.

After the festival I asked my teacher if she would let me wear shiny Lycra which she did and I still do to this day for classes  the other two boys never picked on me again for wearing shiny Lycra as I reminded them of their wet patches if they did.

it is your choice which you go for but I would advise to get one pair of each to see which you preferred I myself would chose shiny over matte but that’s my personal choice 

keep dancing 

Edited by ChrisB