Ballet Talk for Dancers

Looking for a ballet school in Ann Arbor, MI

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and nice meeting you all!

I started ballet classes a year ago in Hong Kong(took ballet classes as a kid for several years), and was taking 3-4 classes a week. We were doing the RAD syllabus and girls in my class are taking RAD Grade 4 or 5 in May. My teacher placed me in the Grade 5 exam group, but I am not taking the exam because I have returned to Ann Arbor a week ago.

In the coming years I will fly between Hong Kong and the states a lot, and while I am in AA, I would like to continue taking ballet classes so my previous efforts would not go to waste.

Most girls in my class are in their late teens and 20s, like myself. Some are in their 30s and 40s, and the oldest student is 60. The youngest student is 10. All of them are taking RAD Grade 4 or 5 in May. The Grade 5 group is taking Intermediate Foundation in September - November. As adults we know we need to work extra hard. The 60-year-old student just started pointe work - following her example, I wouldn't let age get in my way!

If possible, I would like to take RAD classes in Ann Arbor, so I can follow in my Hong Kong classes even if I am not taking the exam.

But it seems that most AA ballet schools don't offer RAD classes for adults - maybe for us oldies there's no need to take exams? I tried one school before, but it seems more like a fun class for free movement.

Any member in the Ann Arbor area could help me out? Thanks!!!

There's this place which is on East U so very convenient to central campus. It is not a RAD school, however. Finding a RAD school might be difficult. There are far fewer of them in the US than abroad and even more so for adults. I'd recommend just finding a good school that can help you keep up your technique. You might also look into classes at U of M. I know they have them, but have no idea how good (or not) they might be. They would probably be free though which would be a major bonus.

http://www.csballetannarbor.com/The_Commun...or/Welcome.html

Sorry I can't be more help. I just know this place because I used to walk past it, but never had time in grad school for outside activities like ballet. Remember Ann Arbor is a college town so it's rather small and you don't have the same options that you would in a larger city. If you're willing to trek to Detroit there are likely more options there.

I'm going to move this to the Pre-Pro Schools forum, as the parents & dancers posting there may be able to help. A good pre-pro school usually also has good adult classes, or may be open to appropriately trained adults taking graded syllabus classes & parents & dancers in the area can suggest schools for you to contact.

Have you thought of taking open classes for adults? In a good studio, these can be really wonderful for maintaining and extending your learning and training.

Good luck!

If possible, I would like to take RAD classes in Ann Arbor, so I can follow in my Hong Kong classes even if I am not taking the exam.

But it seems that most AA ballet schools don't offer RAD classes for adults - maybe for us oldies there's no need to take exams? I tried one school before, but it seems more like a fun class for free movement.

Any member in the Ann Arbor area could help me out? Thanks!!!

I've been taking classes in Ann Arbor for a long time, and I found that Community School of Ballet on East University has the best adult program in the area. Their childrens' program is RAD. And Camilla, who teaches the adult classes, used to teach an RAD syllabus class for adults. But she hasn't done that in a while. But her regular adult classes are definitely influenced by RAD, since she's been an RAD teacher for a long time. She has class Tuesdays and Thursdays at 6:30pm, Friday at noon, and Saturday at 4:30.

Edited by myfeethurt
  • 3 months later...

Fantapop,

I'm currently in Hong Kong taking RAD level 3 (adult beginner) and might begin taking the new Intermediate Foundation class at a different studio in a couple of weeks. If you don't mind me asking, could you tell me where you took ballet in Hong Kong? I can't PM you (assuming because I'm a new member).

Thanks!