Ballet Talk for Dancers
Clara 76

Les Ballets Trockadero de Monte Carlo

Clara 76

My stomach hurts from laughing so hard, my hands are still stinging from clapping so hard, and I almost have larynxgitis from whooping so loud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Total standing ovation at the end- and we managed to get an encore!

Take the whole family if you ever get a chance. So good, so brilliantly done, and really well danced! Original choreography for the most part, and danced with clean technique. The port de bras on the dying swan variation rivaled Makarova- up until the camp kicked in.

I swear they must have 100 pounds of feathers tucked into that dying Swan tutu.....

The did a Merce piece, which was interesting because I'd never seen them do anything but Classical, and the twist here was in how the musicians behaved- Hah! So funny. :grinning:

I was rolling during Swan Lake- and the choreography was spot on!!!

Brilliant rendition of Raymonda's wedding too.

gimpydancer

Don't forget Pas de Quatre!

And my face still hurts from laughing :grinning:

Clara 76

Oh yes! They were on another level!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I can't stop smiling!!!

dance1soccer1

DD and I are seeing them in Louisville next weekend. Cannot wait!

Clara 76

You must report back, d1s1!!!!!!!!!

dancemaven

I absolutely LOVE the Trocks. I've seen them before and found them thoroughly enjoyable. I've also met a former Trock and his sense of humor carried past his roles. The program itself is hysterical.

Blanche

Both DD's and I saw them in DC in October...I had never seen them, so it was on my "bucket list." We were so disappointed that Dying Swan wasn't on the program...until they announced it had been added for that evening. The crowd roared, and my younger daughter at that point could've been mistaken for being at a Justin Bieber concert!

They are so technically good, but they are absolute genius at the physical comedy as well...I soooo hope they come back to our area again!

ceecee

Oh my goodness! I really want to see them! I wish they would come to our city!

gimpydancer

Their website, www.trockadero.org, has all their upcoming performances. Not very many in the US but UK and Japan have a lot!

It's fascinating seeing where these guys have trained and danced. Also, the rep list alone made me laugh!

b1

LOVED IT!!! I still have a horrible bruise on my left hand from clapping so hard! We had FABULOUS seats, but sadly I had a very large woman in front of me who had arranged her lovely ponytail in a bouffont hairdo so I had to watch the whole production 1/2 into the aisle! I almost missed quite a bit of stage left action (which was where the musicians were seated). The horrible crick in my neck is worth it! They were fabulous. I, too must give kudos to the musicians in the Merce piece. I am not a huge Merce fan. Thankfully, the Trocks made a very dry piece extremely funny, and the humor wasn't necessarily in the dancing. I sometimes forgot to watch the dancers in that piece!

My favorite is Pas De Quatre. I performed it years ago, after studying the "original" choreography through Sutton notation (ugh...what a struggle). And their choreography is very, very close to what I learned. Loved it. No one does it anymore :thumbsup: Needs to be revived, if only for the history of the dancers. :thumbsup: My second favorite piece was Raymonda (another that is rarely done near here). But the choreography was spot on, and the execution was amazing.

Clara, the second best thing about the production was seeing friends, old and new, lol. Where were you? :wub: I didn't see you, sad I missed you, but saw lots of old friends. Brought some older students and their mothers, co workers and friends. It really is a production for the whole family. Not one bit of bad taste that could be considered bad for a younger audience.

One of the original Trocks, Sanson Candelaria was with Boston Ballet when I was young and he was so very funny then, most of the dancers encouraged him to do something with this comedic streak. What a great thing he helped to start!

b1
My stomach hurts from laughing so hard, my hands are still stinging from clapping so hard, and I almost have larynxgitis from whooping so

Clara!!! You were WHOOPING??? There is no whooping in ballet!!! How dare you disturb the decorum of the ballet audience!!! LOLOL (I thought I was at a dance competition with all the "whooping"!!)

Clara 76

Haha!!! Row H House Left.

b1
Haha!!! Row H House Left.

Q, center aisle house right. Fabulous spot. Horrible obstruction. Worst part was that the 3 girls in front of me were not really enjoying at all. I desperately wanted them to leave. They hemmed and hawed about leaving during the standing O, finally leaving during the encore. I enjoyed an unobstructed view of Riverdance, Trock style!!! :wacko:

GTLS Designs

:blushing:

.... former Trock here....

Glad that you enjoyed the show (sounds like a "Program B" to me).

Grisi was one of my favorite roles to dance in "Grand Pas de Quatre."

YAY!

:)

b1

Kudos to you, former Trock! When you teach/coach, you can honestly say that you have done it all. Gives a whole new perspective. :)

Program B, Program Z, I love it all!

Grisi was my role as well. Loved it.