Ballet Talk for Dancers

Inconsiderate student but teacher still adores

chocakety

Hi I know it is me again but I hope the moderators would not be annoyed with my posts.

I have been keeping a few unanswered questions in my heart and I might have found the answer but I just wanna double check it.

In the past, I used to attend an adult ballet class to brush up on basics and get a hang of open classes. The teacher is very strict in technique and detailed which is what I like. I enjoyed taking her classes till one day a younger girl who started ballet late came to her classes. Well, this younger girl I would say that she is flexible, has nice port de bras but I felt that she was a disruptor in class. She would whine and complain throughout the class. Once, she told the teacher not to give petite allegro exercises because she didn't want to sweat. (Errrr?) As a result of her nonsense, I left the teacher.

I came back after a few months after I heard that she was gone since she had major exams. Every year, the teacher would organize an adult ballet open house for all adult dancers to perform. Just nice, our friend came back and the teacher gave her a solo for the annual open house. No, she didn't change, she still was the rude and inconsiderate student whom I remembered months ago. Several of the adults were very unhappy about her behaviour but they kept it hush-hush since they understand that she is still a child. Furthermore, she does ballet ONCE a week and the teacher allowed her to be en pointe. When they were doing simple rises at the barre, the teacher corrected her about straightening her knees in second position instead, she was very defensive and went on "No I didn't bend my knees! No I didn't bend my knees!" She also is always late and will only enter when we are on rond de jambes.

Obviously if anyone acted like that to a teacher, she would be placed on the blacklist of the teacher. But I am just very puzzled why is the teacher treating her like a jem? Is she because she was demanding and the teacher didn't want to yell at her, letting her do what she wants? I feel very unjustified for the other ballet students who take their time off from work and am disciplined during classes. They come early to warm up and stretch but unfortunately this child gets all the attention.

• Administrators

The problem is the teacher. Obviously, she has some kind of agenda with this kid, but whatever it is, it does not make it right. There is nothing you can do about it except not study with this teacher. Allowing behavior like that is not acceptable. Period.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Sorry Dolphin26, but this is a YD forum. No parents allowed! :blushing:

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to say I have had an experience almost exactly the same as this except I am in a pre-professional school. I thought that we would be rid of the disruptor when she became an apprentice with a local company, but she comes back during the summer and is literally handed solos/lead roles. It is frustrating but the rest of us just deal with it...