Ballet Talk for Dancers

The "Impossible Dream" -- should I encourage this pursuit?

Bluebird

Hi

I have just found your posts from 2011 and wondering where your once 13 year olds are now.  I am going through something similar with my 11 year old, a budding hard working ballerina, who has just been told she doesn’t have much of a turnout and will therefore not be accepted at a ballet school when she is older.

• 6 months later...

My daughter is 15 and we take it one step at a time. She’s never placed at YAGP, never been offered a scholarship, but she has been accepted for every SI she’s auditioned for, and got to dance as Clara this past year at our studio. Her favorite quote is that hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard. She danced in the corps for 12 professional shows of Nutcracker two years ago and I thought the grueling work in the background would turn her off, but it only made her love it more. I’ve never met an unhappy dance teacher so I’m can’t see being discouraging at this point. Right now we’re choosing a SI, and we don’t have the money for it, but we’ll do what we can to make it work because we know it’s important to her. We currently clean our studio to help pay that bill. I know we’ll look back on these days as exhausting but wonderful whether she becomes a professional dancer or not. We’re in it because we’re all growing to love Ballet more and more. 

threegirlpileup

A lot happens between 13 and 18.  In the early years, my dd was a kid who did not see herself as a professional dancer (though she loved it) because being a ballet dancer was really all she knew and she didn’t see that as a career path for her.  In her case, it was discovering choreography and contemporary and teaching that made her realize that dance was her calling, and frankly at that point there was no keeping her from it (not that I wanted to).

Yes, there is uncertainty in the artist’s path.  But there is uncertainty in most life paths!  I am glad to be able to support my kid’s journey so far.  If she reaches a point where it stops working for her, or stops making sense, I’ll still be here to help her re-group and move forward.

The main thing I know is that at every point along the way, dancing has enriched my child’s (now a young adult really!) life, so no matter what happens, I have no regrets that I’ve supported and encouraged this path.

On 7/16/2019 at 4:31 PM, Ledwards said:

Hi

I have just found your posts from 2011 and wondering where your once 13 year olds are now.  I am going through something similar with my 11 year old, a budding hard working ballerina, who has just been told she doesn’t have much of a turnout and will therefore not be accepted at a ballet school when she is older.

hi!! New to Ballet Talk but wanted to come on here and offer some words of encouragement to you and your D- sounds just like my D a few years ago.

My D (now 17 applying/auditioning for colleges) began dancing when she was 3, trained at a local competition studio in all styles of dance until she was 12. Then decided she needed more ballet training so she began going full time to a ballet school training like 25 hours a week and realized she loved ballet. My D is a naturally talented dancer and picked up very quickly and really became a talented ballerina. Well shes also 5'1", has scoliosis and doesn't have much turnout either. She was getting tons of injuries, seeing physical therapists 3x a week and as the cherry on top- her sophomore year of high school- she auditioned for 7 summer intensives all of which she was rejected from (meanwhile MUCH less talented dancers we know got into basically all of the programs). She soon realized that although she loved ballet, ballet didn't love her. She realized it would be a constant uphill battle to pursue a career in ballet because of her physical limitations and stature and she made a really tough decision to quit ballet back at the end of her sophomore year. My D was seriously struggling after her sophomore year and having an identity crisis, severe anxiety and body image issues. Quitting her ballet studio was the best decision she ever made.

She's now dancing at an elite competition studio for the past year and a half almost 30 hours a week, and her chronic injuries have subsided.

I say all of this because had my D not quit ballet, she would have never realized what her true path was- to go to college for a BFA program. My D is trained in all styles of dance and is an extremely talented jazz/contemporary dancer. So far, she has been accepted into every program she's auditioned for so far and realizes she wants to dance on Broadway. Something she would have never considered had she stuck with ballet- she probably would not be going to dance in college.

My D's ballet background has DEFINITELY helped her at all of her college auditions and she loves ballet still to this day- but she realized that dancing was more important to her than ballet. So if this is something that resonates with your D I encourage her to look outside the "ballet world" where a lot of times talent goes unnoticed, and you will only get opportunities to advance if you look a certain way. 

Edited by gmfalv

Gamfalv, thank you for your message - it was very encouraging!  Big congrats to your daughter with her dancing success! What a journey!