Ballet Talk for Dancers

Grand Pas De Chat Developpe

chocakety

My teacher gave us this step for a performance and I must say that it is really hard to try to extend one leg while bending the other. Is elevation the key in executing the step? I tried doing it for the first time and I ended up doing a sissone or an Italian jump at times.

• Administrators

You have to keep the body moving in the direction you are traveling. It's not just an 'up' jump, it is a traveling jump. As you travel also keep your whole upper body moving towards where you are going.

This step can be landed on one foot then close the other, like a pas de chat, or, it can be landed more like an assemblé, with both feet coming together to land at the same time. Once you get it, it's a fun step! :)

Ohhhh! Okay I just tried jumping it for awhile and I think I got a hang of it! So the upper body "leans" like how one does a Brisé right?

Ohhhh! Okay I just tried jumping it for awhile and I think I got a hang of it! So the upper body "leans" like how one does a Brisé right?

Yes, that's the way! :)

• Administrators

Yep, that's it, chocakety, like a brisé! :)

I'd actually typed out the analogy to the brisé and saw your follow-up when I previewed my post. That's exactly how I think about it personally :)

It is fun once you get it -- there's a nice floaty feeling -- so it's too bad they don't show up in class more often to practice!

Nice add, gav, but this is Young Dancers; you're an adult. Only 17-22s and teacher/moderators should post on this forum.

No, but it goes into "free material" appropriate to Advanced 1 or 2.