Ballet Talk for Dancers

Color Leotards for auditions?

tippy toes

Hi, I was just wondering if it would be better to wear a colored or black leotard for a ballet summer intensive audition if colored leotards are allowed? I know that a black leotard often looks more professional, but if the website specifies that colored leotards are welcome, will one be more likely to be noticed in a colored leotard? If it helps, I'm referring to the Joffrey NYC Summer Intensive. In a way, I'd imagine it might be better to wear a solid colored leotard and be noticed, but as I fall towards the bottom of the 16-24 age range I'm thinking it might be safer to blend in with black. Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated (as well as any other tips for the audition). Thanks! :)

• Administrators

I would suggest a solid color, but not necessarily black. Wear something that you really like and feel good in! :)

I'm auditioning for Joffrey NY this weekend too! I'm thinking about wearing a white leotard because I feel most confident when I wear white. Hopefully I don't stand out too much but there will probably be lots of dancers there and I want to make sure I'm seen. Wear a leotard that you are comfortable and confident in! Good luck with your audition!!

• Administrators

Ooops! A parent wandered into the YD forum by mistake. Sorry, but the post has been removed.

I'm auditioning for Joffrey NY this weekend too! I'm thinking about wearing a white leotard because I feel most confident when I wear white. Hopefully I don't stand out too much but there will probably be lots of dancers there and I want to make sure I'm seen. Wear a leotard that you are comfortable and confident in! Good luck with your audition!!

Good luck to you too! I'm thinking that I might wear a teal leotard because it's new and I'm in love with it, but either way I'll bring the black as a back up in case absolutely no one else seems to be wearing a color....

• 10 months later...

I'm auditioning for SAB in a few weeks and was planning on wearing a black leotard I ordered that should be here in a few days . . . It's black with half sleeves and has a grey trim, and I was wondering whether or not it's a bad idea to wear a leotard with sleeves? I wasn't sure . . . They go just above the elbow. I was also wondering if it's okay to wear a leotard if it has a trim . . . The website says solid color leotards but the trim isn't overly showy so I wasn't sure . . . ?

• Administrators

Esmeralda, this is the 17-22 YD forum. I believe that you are still under 17, as your previous posts have been on the 13-16 forum.

Anyway, I will answer your question, but please always check the forum before posting!

If it says solid color, then wear a solid color, no trim.

Oops sorry! I didn't realize I was in the wrong forum :P But thanks Ms. Leigh! :) Sorry again!

• 2 weeks later...