Ballet Talk for Dancers

Adult Ballet Classes - Pennsylvania

Christina

We will be in Philly area for 3 weeks in July. My kids will be doing summer intensive at the Rock school from 9-3 m-f. I noticed at least this time Rock offers evening adult classes but I am going to seek out mornings.

Are there any adult ballet classes (int/adv) in Philly area in the summer weekday mornings anyone can recommend? I am trying to see if I can line up some classes for myself while there. TIA!

Both Koresh Dance and Symmetry Dance Wellness offer M-F morning classes. I think both at 10:00 a.m. You can check their websites. They also have 11:00 a.m. Saturday at Symmetry (Open Class) and at Koresh both Intermediate and Beginner classes on Sunday. I've never taken Koresh morning classes but I hear that they include dancers in the company so they are challenging. I've taken an occasional Symmetry classes in the mornings and they are also challenging since professionals take those classes but it depends on who is there what the class will be like. Since you are int/adv. you might want to investigate those classes. Symmetry offers pointe for adults as well.

There is also another studio in West Philly that has adult classes: Gwendolyn Bye Studios. I've never gone there. And there are a few studios outside of Philly in the suburbs, for example, Pennsylvania Academy of Ballet, that offer adult classes. U of the Arts offers dance, including ballet I think, through their continuing ed and in summer have intensive dance workshops. There is a huge dance community in Philadelphia and you can find all kinds of classes. There is a website, google "dance Philadelphia" that has a dance calendar on it and all happenings in the dance community. The studios I mentioned above all have websites so you can google them for their websites and schedules.

I don't know how the summer program will affect the adult/company classes at Philadelphia Ballet School (on web) but those classes are good. They are just down the street on Broad (toward the sports area).

Pennsylvania Academy of Ballet definately has morning adult classes all summer 9:30 am to 11 am. It's a vaganova based studio owned and run by Margarita De Saa (of the cuban ballet) and John White in Narberth PA, just outside the Philadelphia city limits with a very good rep for high standards of teaching.

http://www.paacademyofballet.com/

• 1 year later...

Any recommendations for adult basic ballet classes in Center City? Danced from ages 3-12, but I haven't danced in 15 years, so definitely looking for something for beginners! Need class that is feasible with work schedules, too, preferably after 4 pm.

I don't know if this will help, but here is a thread on schools in your area. At least it may then give you a list to start looking up to see if they offer adult classes:

http://dancers.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=37923

Classes at Koresh are awesome - morning classes M-F stellar, evening classes ranging from introduction to intermediate, fabulous as well. Husband and wife teach, Vaganova technique, in the summer additional classes are added along with ballet workshops. Keep checking the website. FYI, Symmetry is moving, and according to their website, won't be offering morning classes, well at least for a while.

Classes at Koresh are awesome - morning classes M-F stellar, evening classes ranging from introduction to intermediate, fabulous as well. Husband and wife teach, Vaganova technique, in the summer additional classes are added along with ballet workshops. Keep checking the website. FYI, Symmetry is moving, and according to their website, won't be offering morning classes, well at least for a while.

Koresh is walking distance to my apartment. Now to decide between Ballet and Jazz...(even though this is a Ballet board, I have to say I'm kind of leaning towards doing something new!) Thanks again for the advice!

Edited by power2change

power2change - try both....the jazz and ballet classes are awesome and there are classes 7 days a week - check out the website