Ballet Talk for Dancers

Ecole Superieure de Ballet Contemporain de montreal

Great! In the interest of maintaining an orderly site, let's limit this thread to the year-round program.

We'll ask that any information on the summer program be placed on the dedicated thread in the SI forum. :(

• 6 months later...

Can anyone comment on the difficulty of getting into the year-round program at the post-secondary level? I am hoping to get a sense of how many of the dancers accepted to the summer intensive stand a chance of getting in to the year-round program. Also, I know it is possible to do the dance training only as an "auditeur libre" i.e., not attending the college (at which all programs are in French only). Does anyone have experience of this? How much "free time" would the dancer then have? Any information at all about the year-round program for post-secondary would be most helpful, including information about the Jeunes Ballet du Quebec company. Do the PSP students participate in this? Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Hi Natalma

I was accepted into the post secondary program at ESBQ. I did not find it difficult to get in once you were in the summer program. All the girls in my summer intensive class got in. However there were only 10 girls in my class and half of them are year round students. I know from friends who attend the school that if you do not attend the cegep you normally get placed in year 2 of post secondary. There are two years of cegep and the students can join les jeune after the second year in cegep. Cegep is equivalent to grade 12 and 13. That is why quebec students cannot join les jeune unless they are done their schooling. Dancers who finished their mandatory schooling can be invited to join Les Jeune anytime. Cegep students generally can wear any style of leotard in class. The classes are generally easy to follow (all the teachers I had incorporated stretching in most of the barre excerises). Students can be chosen for special performances/ workshops by the artistic director (not restricted to psp students). I did not attend for the year due to personal issues therefore my knowledge is limited to summer and friends who are in the PSP program. However I hope this helped if you have anymore questions feel free to ask.

Thanks very much, tchaik, for this information. I will take up your invitation to ask another question! If a dancer has finished post-secondary outside Quebec and attends the school as an "auditeur libre" presumably she has more free time than a Quebec student who must combine the second year of PSP with her final year of CEGEP. Or have I got this wrong?

• Administrators

One of my daughter's friends attended this program a few years ago after graduating highschool in a different province. I would also assume that students in this situation would have more free time than a dancer who was still in CJEP.

I think it's what mom2 said. Dancers who are in the psp program do have more free time than a dancer who is doing both cegp and psp. The cegep students are not really in school that much through. I was told there was only three academic classes/week and two are taken at the ballet school. So I am not sure exactly how much more free time you would have...

• 3 years later...

I was wondering what the program is like for dancers age 11 and up, and what they look for in getting in? I know some like certain body types and flexibilty, so observations would be great. My daugther speaks a bit of French but is not fluent. It would be a closer program than some of the outwest schools or even Toronto.

Edited by Victoria Leigh
  • 3 years later...

L'Ecole Superieur de Ballet du Quebec (ESBQ) is located in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Grade 7-9 students dance in the mornings (8:30am-12:00pm approximately) and academics in the afternoon, and grades 10-11 do academics in the morning and dance in the afternoons (1:00pm-6:00pm approximately). CEGEP students also dance in the afternoons. Most high-school students attend a partner academic school, but some do homeschooling, however, in that case, dance tuition is higher. For those students who are from out of town/province, housing is offered through the academic school up to grade 11 (the dancers must be a current student at the school), and it is offered 5 days a week only, i.e. Mon-Fri (or more specifically Sunday evening to Friday afternoon).  On weekends, typically those dancers stay with host families nearby. Therefore, without a full time residence for out of town students, it is not particularly easy to manage for their parents, or the dancers. 

This is a french school, however, most teachers and students also speak english, therefore, one should not be concerned about potential language barriers, if the dancer is not fully fluent in french. 

As a side note, the school is perhaps slightly more flexible in their admission process than others, in my opinion. 

Edited by Lulumom
added clarity and removed unnecessary details