Ballet Talk for Dancers

working out a schedule

dg2008

So I've been away for a while now due to moving home a few times, getting a new job and clearing up my debts.

I live in London so have decided on the following:

WK1

Monday: 2.5hrs

16:30 - 18:00 Jazz Ballet (Beg) Danceworks | 18:30 - 19:30 Classical Ballet (Basic) Pineapple

19:00 - 2000 Jazz Technique (Gen) Danceworks | 20:15 - 21:15 Basic Ballet Pineapple

Tuesday: 3.5hrs

16:30 - 18:00 Classical Ballet (Beg) Danceworks

18:00 - 19:00 Contemporary (Beg) Danceworks

19:15 - 20:15 Jazz (Beg/Gen) Danceworks

Saturday: 1hr

10:30 - 11:30 Jazz (Beg) Pineapple

WK2

Wednesday: 1 - 2.75hrs

16:30 - 18:00 Classical Ballet (Beg) Danceworks | 18:00 - 19:00 Modern Jazz (Beg) Pineapple

18:00 - 19:00 Jazz (Beg/Gen) Danceworks | 19:00 - 20:45 Ballet (Beg) Central Ballet

WK3

Wednesday: 1 - 2.75hrs

16:30 - 18:00 Classical Ballet (Beg) Danceworks | 18:00 - 19:00 Modern Jazz (Beg) Pineapple

18:00 - 19:00 Jazz (Beg/Gen) Danceworks | 19:00 - 20:45 Ballet (Beg) Central Ballet

11:30 - 12:30 Basic ballet Pineapple

Red means what I'd like to add.

Not sure about gen & Beg/gen classes

Not the biggest fan of Pineapple at the weekends though.

What do you guys think of the above schedule?

It looks like it will get you into shape quickly.

I missed the part where you'd be doing 2 ballet classes in 1 day- sorry. I have to say that 2 ballet classes in 1 day is not a good thing on a regular basis. Better to try 1 class one week, then the other class the next week and keep whichever one seems to work best for you. :) Other than that, you'll certainly be a busy bee!

Well LSE have said I can trial both the level 1 & level 2 classes and talk about in the future going into RAD intermediate. Only problem with that it that I only have 1 in 3 Mondays free to go to level 1. Anyone taken level 2? It does say it's for returning dancers though.

I think we're going to need redbookish to help interpret here. I am not familiar with RAD past the pre-primary levels, so I'm afraid I'm not being much help....

I'm a little confused by the schedule to be honest, but in terms of RAD Intermediate I might be able to answer some questions.

From my experience of adult beginner dancers and RAD studios, many RAD studios will start them off in Intermediate Foundation, a level which focuses very much on technique and getting the basics right. Intermediate is the level after this.

However, a new syllabus is being introduced for Intermediate Foundation and Intermediate so I'm not sure if this will still be quite common in future.

As for the level 1 and 2 classes you talk about, I don't have any experience of the studios/classes you are referring to but maybe in level 2, things like positions of the feet, arms, croisé/ouverte and basis steps may not be explained as they might be in level 1?

DG, what studio are you referring to by "LSE"? Because to me that reads "London School of Economics"!

I'm not sure what you're aiming for in your schedule. Are you returning? Learning from scratch? Why are you aiming for a specific RAD level? I think that determining (or advising on) a schedule for adult learners is dependent on what you're hoping to achieve. The mix of jazz and ballet suggests a particular approach or idea you have about how & why you want to dance, maybe?

Because there are actually other studios n London which will give you much more of a solid and technical training in ballet, starting with the basics, and moving on in a "slow cooking" sort of way: Morley, the graded classes at ENB, London Central, and so on.

I think there are people here who could give good advice & examples from their own experience, but we need a bit more information about what your background is and what you want to achieve in your dance schedule.

Can't go to Morley due to work. I would love to go there, I also work shifts so term bookings aren't great for me though I would love to go there also.

My main focus I want to be ballet but I want to add other styles. I have been thinking of Ballet + Contemporary on Tuesdays and Ballet & Jazz on Thursdays, to start with then add more ballet classes.

Sorry I meant LSC not LSE.

dg,

I think we could be helped with comments on redbookish's other questions -- what level are you at? How long have you studied for/been away for, etc?

In addition, it's hard to comment as the stuff you would like to be added, as well as the classes you've listed, are often at different studios, at overlapping times -- I know you know this, but it's hard for us to interpret what you're doing vs what the other potentials are.

At almost any level, 2 technique classes are not the best way to go. So, for example, you wouldn't want two 'beg ballet' classes on the same day. If you throw pointe, partnering, variations, men's class, etc., into the mix, then it's a different thing. As are different dance styles (modern, jazz, etc).

What I'm gathering is that because you work shifts, your weekly schedule is going to vary. Why not use that as an excuse to try out different classes and teachers, and then form a schedule based on what you liked? I know that there are things that I disliked about both Danceworks and Pineapple, but given the right teacher, I'd be there!

I'm a returning student who got to Grade 5 in RAD. I suppose I want syllabus is just so I can show my progress if you get me. I want to make Ballet the main focus but not the only one.

Schedule 1 (can do now)

Monday:

16:30 - 18:00 Jazz Ballet (Beg) Danceworks

19:00 - 2000 Jazz Technique (Gen) Danceworks

Tuesday:

WK2

Tuesday:16:30 - 18:00 Classical Ballet (Beg) Danceworks

Wednesday:

18:00 - 19:00 Jazz (Beg/Gen) Danceworks

WK3

Tuesday:

Wednesday:

Schedule 2 depending on evenings not working

Monday:

20:00-21:00 Ballet (level 1) LSC

Tuesday:

19:00-20:45 Ballet (Beg) Central

Wednesday:

Thursday:

Schedule 3:

Tuesday:

Thursday:

So option 3 wouldn't have any other style of dance & ideally I'd have classes over 2 days to save travel cost.

what do you guys think?

Been looking at Morley and if I changed to night shifts or could get the same day off each week I could go there till at least advanced level. Any advantage of doing OCLNR?

Been looking at Morley and if I changed to night shifts or could get the same day off each week I could go there till at least advanced level. Any advantage of doing OCLNR?

My work schedule currently: (when I'm free)

WK1: Fri all day | Sat morning | Sun afternoon/evening | Mon all day | Tue afternoon/evening | Wed morning | Thur morning

WK2: Fri morning | Sat morning | Sun afternoon/evening | Mon morning | Tue all day | Wed all day | Thur morning

WK3: Fri morning | Sat | Sun | Mon morning | Tue afternoon/evening | Wed morning | Thur morning

Anybody any good ideas?