Ballet Talk for Dancers

HIPS/PELVIS?

Fantasia Ballet

Hi

I'm 14 years old and my teacher has been constantly telling me to fix my hips. She's always turning them inwards and tells me turnout comes from the hips, but you should not turn out your hips with your legs? she also talks about my four point square. My turn out is quite strong but its my hip/pelvis I can't control. My question is how are hips meant to be kept in ballet? I know I might sound really vague, but please help!

My teacher also talks about sit muscles? What are the sit muscles in ballet? I dont really understand, please help.

Laura :)

Edited by Victoria Leigh
Punctuation and capitalization.
  • Administrators

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, Fantasia Ballet. :)

I moved your post from the Adult Students Forum to the Young Dancer 13-16 forum, as that is your category, according to your post above.

I think you are confused about what your teacher is saying, as it seems to not make any sense. Rotation does come from the hips, and also the muscles in the gluteus maximus ("sit" muscles). You don't turn out your feet, you rotate your legs, and the legs start at the hips! I don't understand what you mean by "...she is always turning them inwards." Can you explain that please? Is it possible that she is trying to get them aligned and not tilted?

I'm going to link a topic on alignment for you to read, and this should help you get a better understanding of your problems.

I'm also going to ask you to please go back and edit your post, using upper case letters where appropriate, and adding punctuation to make sentences. We do not write in text speak here on Ballet Talk for Dancers!

http://dancers.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=35504

Thank you for your reply. I got the answer I needed from Clara76's post on alignment:'See the pelvis. Visualize those 2 bony structures at the very bottom of the pelvis. Those are what you feel when you sit down. They are called the 'sit bones'. If the skeleton is hanging properly, those 2 bones will be pointing straight down at the ground. If one were to attach a light to them, there would be 2 perfect circles of light on the floor.' It was really useful and had all I needed.

I also have trouble with my extension and I would like to ask about that. I am well off with flexibility (can get in splits easily etc.), but when it comes to adagio and developpe I tend to feel a muscle in my thighs sort of stopping me from going higher than 110 degrees. My teacher says I have a limit of 160 degrees, but am not working hard enough or using the right muscles. What should I do to make my extension higher, any tips? Also, what muscles am i meant to be using maintaning my allignment?

thank you so much :)

Edited by Victoria Leigh
Captitalization, punctuation, spelling.

All of them :)

That's the function of your muscles- their Raison d'être! From the intrinsic muscles of the feet up to your neck, each muscle needs to be performing its job.

A good ballet teacher helps you to identify muscles you're not typically using in day-to-day life, and helps you to feel how they need to be engaged.

As far as extension goes, I think you have not yet found your inner thigh muscles, nor have you learned how to properly engage your hamstrings to support your legs en l'air. The rotation muscles are heavily relied upon to sustain the legs in the air. There are specific exercises that I give to my students to help them locate and strengthen those muscles. Perhaps check with your teacher to see if they have any ideas? Are you heading to a Summer Intensive anywhere?

• Administrators

Fantasia, thank you for editing your first post and trying to do better in the second. :) I have gone back and done a bit more, in order to show you how it should look. Every "I", whether at the beginning or middle of a sentence needs to be upper case, and also every word that begins a sentence. Commas help to make your sentences clearer, and sometimes you need put a period and start a new sentence when you run from one thought to another. :wink:

We really try to help our young dancers be not only "ballet intelligent", but literate as well! I notice that you are not living in this country. Are you speaking English as a second language, or are you American or British born?

Thanks for your reply. Yes, i guess i better check with my teacher. She's always going on about inner thigh muscles and all that stuff but she confuses me (her accent :) ) She regurly gives us stretching exercises but i better check with her on that.

I got accepted into the royal ballet school's summer course but might be heading to Stepanova Ballet Academy's instead. Any suggestions?

Thanks again

-Laura

Fantasia, thank you for editing your first post and trying to do better in the second. :) I have gone back and done a bit more, in order to show you how it should look. Every "I", whether at the beginning or middle of a sentence needs to be upper case, and also every word that begins a sentence. Commas help to make your sentences clearer, and sometimes you need put a period and start a new sentence when you run from one thought to another. :wink:

We really try to help our young dancers be not only "ballet intelligent", but literate as well! I notice that you are not living in this country. Are you speaking English as a second language, or are you American or British born?

Sorry about that as I am not quite used to typing accurately (use shortcuts) No I'm American, and speak english fluently, just never really type in perfect grammar and spelling. (unless it's school work) :sweating: I'll be sure to do that next time though! :thumbsup:

We can't possibly hope to directly compare programs here on Ballet Talk for Dancers, but what we can do is point you in the direction of information we may have on possible ways to spend your summer.

Obviously, The Royal Ballet School has quite an excellent reputation for training ballet dancers, as they have done so for almost 100 years! Royal Ballet School 12 pages of information here

Haven't heard much about Stephanova, but it was mentioned on this thread: Ballet Schools in Canada