Ballet Talk for Dancers

My dance schedule and plans for the future

tara-balletgirl

I would firstly like to start by apologising in advance incase my topic is innapropriate in anyway - I am new to the forum.

I am 16 years old, studying Grade 6 RAD Ballet, Intermediate Foundation RAD Ballet, Grade 4 Modern ISTD Ballet, and Advanced 2 Jazz.

I will be taking my Grade 6 Ballet exam next week, my Intermediate Foundation exam at Christmas this year (hopefully!) and my Grade 4 Modern exam in the summer.

My Schedule at the moment is this:

Mondays: 6.45-9pm - Ballet Technique

Tuesdays: 7-9pm - Ballet

Thursdays: 6.45 - 9.25pm - Modern followed by Jazz

Fridays: 6.30-8pm - Pointe

Saturdays: Exam technique - 2 hours

In September I will be taking A-level dance at college, to improve my choreography skills, as my experience of this is limited.

I am hoping to move onto the Royal Academy of Dance Faculty of Education in London after college, and to subsequently become a dance teacher.

I was just wondering if somebody could please advise me if my experience of dance or my schedule is in anyway going to stand in the way of my "dream". - Am I dancing enough, and what other experience do I need to aide my application in a couple of years time?

Thankyou in advance!

Tara :)

Tara, I'd purely love to see that Friday Pointe class preceded by a technique class and a Wednesday technique class, ending with a little pointe. I trust that you are receiving pointe as a cap to the Int Found classes?

And by the way, welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers. :)

Tara, I'd purely love to see that Friday Pointe class preceded by a technique class and a Wednesday technique class, ending with a little pointe. I trust that you are receiving pointe as a cap to the Int Found classes?

I apologise, but I'm not sure I understand, "as a cap to the Intermediate Foundation", what do you mean?

Thank you

The last 15-20 minutes consists of rudimentary pointework.

Yes, that is basically what we do.

Tara

To extend my question,

What sort of features would the RAD be looking for in a prospective student,

I have read their prosepectus countless times, and I am still no closer to answer my question!

I know they request 3 A-levels, an A-C in Maths and English at GCSE and Intermediate Ballet, or equivalent, but in such a competitive industry, in what ways can I aim to stand out in, because dance is far more than letters on a page, and I would imagine if you are looking to become an RAD dance teacher there must be ways of making yourself stand out from the crowd - to show that you're worthy of the chance?

For example, I have experience in helping with our youngest dancers, but what else would help?

Thankyou

Tara

It sounds as if you need some face-to-face time with an RAD-certified teacher to help you chart your future training. RAD itself doesn't really care about academic curriculum and marks, but the degree-granting university will certainly do so. Talk with an RAD teacher at your earliest opportunity, and a higher education counselor to help with degreed programmes.

I will do that, Thank you.

I have class tomorrow so I will try and talk to my teacher.

I have been wanting to ask her for quite some time now, however I am nervous about doing so because in my class for as long as I can remember the other girls have always had a bit of an edge on me, and also because my sister ihas always been into a future in dance and is in the class.

I am just worried she will think I am just fantasizing, or judge me.

Thank you for all your help this evening Mr Johnson!

• Administrators

It is how you feel and think that matters, not about how your sister feels or thinks, and certainly not about her judging you. If she does that, it's her problem, not yours. Talk to your teacher.

I'm just curious, Tara, as to why you are aiming for a teaching career and not a performing career first? Don't get me wrong, as I definitely think that a teaching career is highly admirable. But most young dancers do want to perform first, and professional performing experience, along with or followed by teacher training, would open up far more possibilities in terms of teaching in the future.

It is how you feel and think that matters, not about how your sister feels or thinks, and certainly not about her judging you. If she does that, it's her problem, not yours. Talk to your teacher.

I'm just curious, Tara, as to why you are aiming for a teaching career and not a performing career first? Don't get me wrong, as I definitely think that a teaching career is highly admirable. But most young dancers do want to perform first, and professional performing experience, along with or followed by teacher training, would open up far more possibilities in terms of teaching in the future.

As much as I would love to perform first - performing dancing is one of the most incredible feelings in the world to me - realistically, I'm not sure that I would succeed.

It would definitely be something I would love to try to get into, however although I am good at dancing, and have a good understanding of technique ecetera, (I hope that does not sound too conceited), I am not the most talented or experienced dancer, and I am unsure what performance experience would be open to someone in my position.

I have thought, well, dreamed about a future in performing, but it is so competitive, and there are so many amazing dancers out there to be in competition with!

I hope that all makes sense!

It does make sense; anxiety is part of career planning. That's why you need face time with an RAD teacher to help you choose your way to a permanent livelihood. An experienced stage performer makes a better teacher. Seeking assistance is a good thing.

It does make sense; anxiety is part of career planning. That's why you need face time with an RAD teacher to help you choose your way to a permanent livelihood. An experienced stage performer makes a better teacher. Seeking assistance is a good thing.

Yes, assistance will be very useful thank you! I spoke to the GCSE Dance teacher at my school, and the Careers advisor, they weren't any help at all, as they basically told me things I already knew, and in the case of careers, to go into medicine.

There is another issue I have with performing professionally however; between the ages of 8 and 14 I had huge problems with my knees. I went from consultant to physiotherapist to doctor and back around again because no-one could work out what it was. I was also on anti-inflammatorys 3 times a day to control the pain. At times, I was having to miss dance classes because I was in a lot of pain, I had to give up tap because if I attended a class, the day after I would be unable to walk. I am very bowlegged and hypermobile, which we believe was a contributing factor due to the fact I was growing too - I am 5ft11". The issue I think I would face with performing would be the fear of starting, and then having to stop. Although I don't see it coming back like it was, there is always going to be that "what if..." there.

Thank you both for your insight, you have been incredibly helpful!

Tara