Ballet Talk for Dancers

RAD Graded exam marks and becoming a dance teacher

tara-balletgirl

In the future I would really like to be a ballet teacher, but I was just wondering if the Grades I have got on my Graded RAD exams would stop me being able to do this.

I have a Commendation on Primary, and Merits on Grades 1, 2, 3 and 4.

I just took Grade 6 so obviously I do not have the results for these yet.

I had to miss grade 5 due to missing a lot of classes because of problems with my knees.

Will my lack of distinctions stop me from becoming a ballet teacher?

Thank you in advance

Tara

No. It will depend entirely upon marks and instructor advices received during actual teacher certification training itself. There are prerequisites, but distinctions aren't necessary. RAD teaching demands a pretty thorough intellectual understanding of ballet technique, so make sure that you are well-equipped in that department. Make sure that you understand the certification programme before embarking upon it. It is NOT an easy out from a performing career.

No. It will depend entirely upon marks and instructor advices received during actual teacher certification training itself. RAD teaching demands a pretty thorough intellectual understanding of ballet technique, so make sure that you are well-equipped in that department.

Thank you Mr Johnson! I've been getting worried about it haha!

For some of the RAD teaching courses, you need to have passed the Intermediate and Advanced foundation exams (at least for the RAD courses here in Australia). I have heard that instead you can have a distinction in Grade 8, but that was what somebody told me, so may not be reliable.

Yes, for most (if not all) of the RAD teacher-training courses (e.g. the Certificate in Ballet Teaching studies or CBTS) it is necessary to have passed Intermediate or higher. I don't know about Grade 8. Maybe take a look at: RAD education website

That's what I meant about being familiar with the the prerequisites of any certification course. It is best to be in direct communication with RAD headquarters in order to minimize misinformation.

That's what I meant about being familiar with the the prerequisites of any certification course. It is best to be in direct communication with RAD headquarters in order to minimize misinformation.

I have emailed the Faculty, but I am aware that for the course I would wish to do I would need Intermediate or higher.

Thanks

I would encourage you to just keep working hard and take things in their time - it seems you are on the right track with this one. Something else which is important is to discuss this with your teacher and that way he/she is able to help you to work towards the higher grades/vocational levels and to assist you in reaching your goal. Also, as Mr Johnson has said, this is not an easy thing to study and as I know from the current CBTS students I know, it is important to learn how to explain things as well as to be able to do them.

May I ask how old you are? The Children's exam syllabi (Pre-Primary to Grade 5) and Higher Grades (6,7 and 8) are not considered as requisites for being accepted on a teaching course. As far as I know, the only exams considered are the Vocational ones - Intermediate Foundation to Advanced 2, although someone did suggest that perhaps Grade 8 was enough, I am doubtful about it. Normally to have a better chance to be accepted you would have to have passed at least Advanced Foundation or Advanced 1. Intermediate is compulsary. I don't think that the mark is that important, but it might be if there were many people applying for a certain CBTS course.

Teaching ballet is a very serious business - you need to have a great deal of technical knowledge and a rich background in dance and related studies. If you demonstrate, you need to be able to demonstrate accurately, because children copy everything you do and if you have serious technical faults you will inevitably pass them on to your students. So the most important thing that you can do is to improve and strengthen your basic technique and to continue advancing up the levels. Read books about child development, anatomy, ballet history etc watch DVD's of ballets and go to performances as often as you can - in other words steep yourself in knowledge. Good luck - a strong will is all you need.......... :blushing:

May I ask how old you are? The Children's exam syllabi (Pre-Primary to Grade 5) and Higher Grades (6,7 and 8) are not considered as requisites for being accepted on a teaching course. As far as I know, the only exams considered are the Vocational ones - Intermediate Foundation to Advanced 2, although someone did suggest that perhaps Grade 8 was enough, I am doubtful about it. Normally to have a better chance to be accepted you would have to have passed at least Advanced Foundation or Advanced 1. Intermediate is compulsary. I don't think that the mark is that important, but it might be if there were many people applying for a certain CBTS course.

Teaching ballet is a very serious business - you need to have a great deal of technical knowledge and a rich background in dance and related studies. If you demonstrate, you need to be able to demonstrate accurately, because children copy everything you do and if you have serious technical faults you will inevitably pass them on to your students. So the most important thing that you can do is to improve and strengthen your basic technique and to continue advancing up the levels. Read books about child development, anatomy, ballet history etc watch DVD's of ballets and go to performances as often as you can - in other words steep yourself in knowledge. Good luck - a strong will is all you need.......... :wallbash:

I am 16. Yes, the RAD faculty request RAD Intermediate or equivalent at a pass.

I was concerned that because my marks are not particularly high, this would mean I was not suitable to be a dance teacher. Thankfully, the members of this forum, and the Faculty were able to make me see that this is not necessarily the case!

Thank you for your advice, I will definitely read into these things, and go see more performances (definitely one of the best parts!).

Thank you for your support and Good Luck!!

Tara