Ballet Talk for Dancers

Too late to make a career?

raminoodles

So I began ballet 2-3 years ago and have been dancing on and off, but recently have been doing it almost everyday (at the Russell School of Ballet near the D.C. area). I really have a passion for it and I want to take it to the next level. Honestly I spend a lot of my free time stretching, watching ballet videos, and day dreaming about it. I am a 21 year old male, about to be 22 in May. My teachers say I have a lot of potential, musicality, and strength but when I told them I want to do ballet as a career, they said it was too late for that, rather they suggested jazz or modern as a career. But when someone tells me its too late I just want it that much more, I love the challenge. I have been searching the web for summer intensive programs but cant seem to find one suited for me (I would say I am at an intermediate level). The Virginia Ballet offers a summer intensive which my teacher will be able to get me into, but I was thinking of a place more well known for example, PNB, Joffrey, North Carolina, Washington Ballet, etc. I feel as if I do a summer intensive it will whip me into shape and increase my chances of becoming a dancer. The question I had was, is it too late for me to start ballet and make it a career? Also do you know of any well-known companies that will accept someone my age/experience? This will be the only summer I can do an intensive then I am on my own really (the max. age I see at most places is 22).

Thank You

Hi, raminoodles, and welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers! :wink:

Cutting right to the chase, for a man, 21 is not too old to begin serious study, but for a classical ballet career, it's on the lower order of probabilities, which your teachers have told you. It may be premature absolutely to discourage pursuits in that direction though. A strong grounding in ballet technique is highly advisable for entry into any professional dance career track, so please continue study! If I were you, I'd go over to the Washington School for an audition class, particularly for the purposes of evaluation. You need a viewing by high-level instructors in order to assess your next course(s) of action.

Thank you for your help! I am studying under 2 people right now, one who danced with ABT and the other has danced with Ailey II and Joffrey but I will still definitely go to Washington Ballet and get an evaluation. Do you think I would have a chance of getting in to the school or am I too old? Do you have any suggestions for summer intensives? Have you heard of the Virginia Ballet?

Thanks again!

If that's the one in Fairfax, and used to be the school of Tania Rousseau and Oleg Tupine, yes, I recall them, but that was a long time ago! There's only one way to find out how you would do at Washington School, and that's to go and try. See what they advise. Sight unseen, I can't make any call on your chances.

If that's the one in Fairfax, and used to be the school of Tania Rousseau and Oleg Tupine, yes, I recall them, but that was a long time ago! There's only one way to find out how you would do at Washington School, and that's to go and try. See what they advise. Sight unseen, I can't make any call on your chances.

I just got in contact with a company dancer at the Washington ballet and am waiting on a response before I go and try! Super excited :wink: But yes, that is the school in Fairfax founded by Tania Rousseau and Oleg Tupine...They have some very good instructors but I haven't heard anything about their reputation, however I believe any intensive program will be so beneficial to improving! thanks again

Check out Central Pennsylvania Youth Ballet. They offer 5 week intensive and if male over 18yo some assistance if you work some hours.

http://cpyb.org/lib/uploads/2011%205_Week%...on%20(1110).pdf

Only a few hours north of Washington DC

Wow, I just took a look at their summer intensive and its a perfect fit for what I am trying to do! Just like you said as well, free housing for males if you work a bit. The only problem the deadline for work/study aid has past and the only way I would be able to afford it is if I had free housing. Do you think they would make any exceptions? This is the only place that does not have an age limit I am so surprised! Thanks for the tip :wink: