Ballet Talk for Dancers

Has anyone read Apollo's Angels - A History of Ballet by Jennifer

LuvTchaikovskyBallets

I bought the book recently and I am very happy to see something that talks about the origins and history of ballet. I've always wanted to learn more about that, but had never found a good source. I do have other books and dvds that talk about the history of certain parts of ballet or of certain people that influenced ballet, but never an entire history.

I was wondering if anyone else has read this, and what do you think about it? Does anyone have any suggestions for further reading?

Currently reading it. I'm about 100 pages into it so I'm still in the early history. It's fascinating. I've had to stop and read sections to my dd so many times that she's reading it herself now as well.

There is a fairly long discussion about this book on the forum entitled "Ballet Books, Movies, Videos, Music, Ballets" that you might enjoy. I know it motivated me to ask for the book as a present.

Wish I knew how to add the link to the other thread, but I do not know how to do it.

It's a wonderful book - very elaborately written too. I highly recommend it for any balletomane that is interested in ballet history. One of the unique things about this book is that it even covers the origins of ballet before it was codified and considered what we know today as "Ballet". It also has quite a thorough history of its evolution in Scandinavia, which I find can get glossed over in history. Really, check it out! It's quite a fun read and not at all heavy like most historical texts.

I saw it the other day at my local library but i already had an armful of books. It's on my next 'to be hired' list

I'm reading it now. As a librarian and history major, I find it fascinating.The origins of ballet are so interesting. My DD is next in line to read it once her school course work slows down. I'm about a third of the way through with Apollo's Angels so far. I want to start the new Jacques D'Amboise book next! Got to get my spring break reading lined up!

My mother gave it to me for Christmas and it carried me through the dark post-holiday time as I read a bit each evening before bed. It's quite a good overview of ballet history and does a pretty good job of walking the line between a scholarly work and a casual read. After reading about the many developments and shifts in ballet over the years and over many continents, I certainly have a better appreciation of many of the things that make ballet technique so unique and that have shaped what we think of as the major ballets.

Here's the link to the original thread in the appropriate forum for discussion of ballet books.

Apollo's Angels

I'm closing this thread now.