Ballet Talk for Dancers

Ruth Page School of Dance

I'm sorry if this is a double post, but I couldn't find a thread on Ruth Page. Does anyone have experience with the program? I was looking through their schedule and I saw that they do not have very many classes for upper levels, but it is considered to be one of the major options for good pre-professional training in the Chicago area. I am thinking about transferring there next year and I am currently dancing and another pre-professional school. However, I was interested in learning about other people's experiences the program. Specifically: how do the upper level students get good training with only three technique classes a week?

• Administrators

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, dancerelaina. :)

I thought we had a thread on this school, but I could not find it either. So, we will leave this here for now.

I checked out the website for the school, and I think you have to go into the Young Dancers section and the Parents and Students Handbook to find the levels and schedule. The upper level seems to have 5 days a week technique, and two pointe classes. It does not show the times of the classes.

There were certainly daily technique classes and pointe at least 3-4 days per week when my DD was there (2 years ago). We were there for 4 years and its reputation was quite solid. Although the school suffered a serious loss with the passing of Larry Long, I believe Miss Patti still does extremely well with the beginner/intermediate group. In truth, however, the opening of Joffrey's Academy I'm sure has made it difficult to retain the older/advanced pre-professional students. At least three left this year according to my dd who started at the Academy this fall.

Thank you very much for the information. Chicaballet, do you have any information about their affiliation with the Chicago Civic Ballet?

Civic Ballet is the school's pre-professional company. They do an annual Nutcracker and usually a spring showcase. I'm sure you can call the school for current info.

You can also easily check out the school by taking class. The first time you go they will suggest a level and the teacher will evaluate you during the class to see if you fit there or would be better off in a different class. My d has taken the occasional class there since about age 12 and has always felt very welcome; now she often takes the morning advanced class during school breaks. She really likes Randy and Birute's teaching.

Thank you to everyone who answered. I went to observe an upper level class, and I have to say there were not many older dancers there. The teacher seemed very good though.

• 11 years later...

Hi! 

No one has commented on this in a few years. I am interested to know any current information or experiences anyone may have? 

I expect there have been changed over the years.