Ballet Talk for Dancers
Our Thanks and Gratitude to Everyone Who Has Contributed to Our 2020 Fundraiser <3 <3 <3
butterflyprincess

Getting back into ballet after long break

butterflyprincess

I have been out of ballet for nearly 2 years and am thinking of going back into it.

Before I stopped dancing I was of pre-professional standard but due to illness had to give it up, now 2 years later I wish to return, but I am very nervous, where do I begin? will I have to start from the beginning?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Mel Johnson

By "pre-professional" I'm going to assume that you mean a proficiency level somewhere in the Intermediate spectrum, so no, you don't have to start over, but getting back to where you were will be a long, slow slog. Trust your school for placing you into a class level that will facilitate your return to your former function most efficiently.

Victoria Leigh

Post by underage poster deleted.

Pistachionut

I was once in your shoes, butterflyprincess. :thumbsup:

The prospect of going back and having to learn everything again is daunting, isn't it? Like Mr. Johnson said, your school will know best when it comes to level placement. I had to take class with those younger than me for a couple of months whilst I built up my strength and re-stabilized my technique, but with a little hard work I was moving up levels in no time!

L-Dub

I too am about to go back to ballet after a hiatus. I'm nervous but excited. I figure I'll take a beginner class, at least to start and ease myself back in and then go from there!