Ballet Talk for Dancers

Pointe classes?

Guest FreedGirl

Guest FreedGirl

In my last post I talked about changing studios. Well at my current studio I'm in the beginning pointe class not taking any additional technique classes. I started out in a technique class, and then my instructer said I did not need to take the technique class before the pointe class. they just told me not to tell the other students in the class. but now that I have been looking into other studios I relized that I need to be taking at least one technique class if not more with my pointe class. so my question is, If I go to a new studio do you think they would continue to let me dance on pointe if I take on additional technique classes? my teacher at the current studio says I have very strong ankles and good turn out. is there any way of showing my new instructors what I have learned on pointe at my last studio? sorry this is so long, thanks again!:)

Pointe class without any other technique class? Duh?:confused: Now, that's plain silly, not to mention somewhat dangerous! You really need about three technique classes a week PLUS the pointe class to be able to maintain the strength and the technique needed for pointe! Whether a new studio would continue you on pointe is a decision they'd have to make on seeing you.

Guest FreedGirl

See I have only been in dance for like 1 year and 7 1/2 months. seven of those months on pointe. for the first year I only took one technique class, because that was all that the studio offered. each class is divided by age, so when I first came to this studio I was thrown into the upper level classes because of my age. then about two months befor my teacher put me on pointe she put me in a lower level class so she could help me out more. and then she said no technique classes, just the 1/2 hour pointe class once a week! I didn't think this sounded right at the time, but I didn't say anything because I figured she is the teacher and would know best, but I guess I was wrong. My instructor told me that when classes start up again in the fall I would be put with the upper level girls again where more then half the technique class is in pointe, which is okay, becasue I can keep up, but I need the correct technique, that is why I decided to leave. I didn't like how the classes were also divided by age group and not by level.

YIKE!:eek:

That sounds like an awful arrangement, and you're well out of there.

• Administrators

FreedGirl, I strongly suggest that you run, not walk, to another studio immediately! Anyone who puts a beginner on pointe, and one IS a beginner with only one class a week, whether it is one year or 10, ought to be shot! And then to take away that one technique and do one half hour a week on pointe??? That is beyond absurd. Get out of there and find a Ballet School!

I also suggest that you read the article entitled Facts of Life About Pointe Work, which is at the top of the YD 13-16 board.

• Administrators

Please don't feel foolish, as you had no way of knowing. That is the most unfortunate thing about ballet training. Anyone can call themselves a teacher, hang out a sign, and bring in students. And people with no previous experience have no basis for knowing that one place is bad and another one good. It's kind of like the old medicine man thing, where they put some stuff in a bottle and told everyone it would cure everything from athletes' foot to heart disease! People want to believe, but often it is just a lot of hype with no real study or research behind it. The same thing happens in ballet. Just keep reading this board, as you will learn so much here about what to look for, how to know if the training is good, where to find the best in your area, etc.