Ballet Talk for Dancers

Advice on schedule

Mary4cami

Hi All,

As I prepare my talk with the AD this spring regarding where dancers go after they finish at her school and how she will help guide DD. I want to be prepared for other things that are questions of mine. Currently my 12 yo DD has the following schedule:

Monday: level 6/7 ballet technique (2hrs with center on pointe)

Tuesday: level 6 ballet technique (1.5 hours); intermediate jazz (1.5hrs)

Wednesday: level 6* ballet technique (1.5 hours); Level 7 pointe (1.5 hrs) *most of the girls who are level 7 take this class prior to the pointe class

Thursday: level 6/7 ballet technique (2 hours); level 6/7 pointe (1 hr)

Saturday: level 6/7 ballet technique (1.5 hours); level 6/7 pointe & variations (1 hour)

As one can see there is no real difference between the level 6 & 7 classes. (I believe that DD is level 6). This is one of the areas that is concerning to DD; a lot of girls at different levels in one class. She feels that sometimes it is too hard and not enough corrections. I don't think a lot of people would notice that she is struggling but she is such a perfectionist that she wants it done correctly. However, if she goes to level 5 then she would only have class 3x's per week and pointe 1x for 45 minutes. And it level 5 would be too easy. I am wondering is it normal to combine levels? Or should I just have her keep plugging along and know eventually she will get everything? Is this too much pointe for a 12 yo?

In addition on our own we try to squeeze in either yoga or pilates 1x per week for strengthening and flexibility. It isn't offered at her studio.

• Administrators

The schedule is good. The combining is not ideal, but if a school is simply not large enough to offer that kind of time to two separate levels, and each level is not large, then it's the only way.

Victoria Leigh,

Thanks so much for your answer. I guess the part that concerns me the most is that level 7 is the highest level & this could mean that the schedule she has at 12 would be the same as when she is 16. I didn't know if this was common? Or if it is what is in her best interest?

• Administrators

I usually question any program where pre and very young teens are dancing at the top level. It could be that the program is just too small, as I said before, or, it could be that the school is not equipped to take the dancers all the way through their training. It could also be that the child is totally exceptional, however, that is quite rare. If there are several her age taking the same classes as older teens, then I think there is reason to question it. Have you looked into other schools in your area? Is there a company school, or a recognized pre-professional school with a reputation for turning out professional dancers?

• 2 months later...

Victoria Leigh,

At your advice and our concerned we looked at a school in a major city near us (1.5 hours away). She took their placement class and the principal of the school immediately wanted to have a conference with us about my DD (12yo) plans for next year as she was very much interested in having her join them. The program that they want her in is the "feeder" program for their pre-pro school. It will have about 16 girls my dd age. They gave me the schedule that day. It is just so different from my dd's current schedule. When I told my dd about pointe only being 2 times per week for 30 minutes she felt it wouldn't be enough. My thoughts are maybe it will slow her down so she can dance perfectly, but what do I really know. I did let the Principal know that she is very much interested in the prepro program but dd was out of town during the audition. She felt dd has all the correct makings for it. Her concern was her age and how she would handle going from a small school (200 kids) to a large, very competitive school of a 1000 students. She felt that it would be good to give her a year to adjust to the large school then have her move into prepro at 13 yo. I do think this is a good idea. My biggest concern is the schedule. I am sure they know what they are talking about. I just want to hear others opinion about this schedule for a 12 yo.

Monday- technique 1 hour; pointe 30 minutes

Tuesday- off

Wednesday- technique 1.5 hours; pilates 1 hour

Thursday-technique 1.5 hours; character 30 minutes

Friday- 1.5 hours technique

Saturday- 1 hour technique; pointe 30 minutes

Thanks so much for commenting!

• Administrators

Mary, it's a tough call without knowing the quality of her current training. If you would like to send me a link to her school, and also to the larger pre pro school, perhaps I can be of more help. You may email me by using the Contact Us link at the top of all the pages. (My PM box is full.)

Victoria Leigh,

I tried to contact you via Contact Us but it said, "Could not perform this operation becaus the default mail client is not properly installed." I have no idea what that means. Isn't something that I need to do? Or you?

Thanks,

• Administrators

Email address removed, as Mary has contacted me off board. However, the Contact Us button should work and come directly to me. I get mail every day, so I don't know of any problems there.

That issue with the Contact Us is because the mail client on her personal computer is not set up to Outlook. No problems. When you hover over the Contact Us link with your cursor, the email address for Contact Us shows up and you can copy/paste it or write it down and use whatever email system you use for your computer.

• Administrators

Thank you, Momof3! I know a very few people have had that problem in the past, but I did not remember why. I just checked it by putting it the cursor on Contact Us, and the address showed up in the tool bar at the bottom of the page. It says Mailto questions.bt4d@gmail.com. :D