Ballet Talk for Dancers

Young boys, tights and dance belt?

kathryn56

I would use two pair. The only problem will be that it puts a lot of stress on the toes. You might trim the toe section of the bottom pair so the front part of his foot can move a little more freely.

At his age, even black tights - for performances - may have to be girls, and therefore doubled!

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to repeat my thanks to all of you. Recital is tomorrow. Last week we had in-studio dress. Grandson wore his leotard, tights and tunic and said they were very comfortable. A couple of young girls and moms commented on his lack of pants, but the advanced dancers swooped in to announce how cool he looked, so all was well. I am prejudiced, but I think he looks adorable. (On a side note, did the school photographer have trouble figuring out how to pose your boys? He and his sister were together, and it was pretty goofy!)

In my opinion, a teacher should be present to pose the students for photographs. :crying:

• 1 month later...

Kathryn, I had the same issues with my 7 y.o.

DS only weighs 48 lbs and we had quite a time figuring out "unders" for a 22 in waist. I like www.backbaydancewear.com for leotards, shirts, a dance belt and leggings in colors other than black (when we need black leggings for class, we get the $5 ones from K-mart's girls sock section).

The xs mens/youth dance belts will definitely not fit Liam. we tried the Capezio and Wear Moi and they fell off him! The Baltogs boy's full-back small fits but doesn't seem like much of anything for it's $12, no waist or up front support, just panties really. So I took in the Capezio thong-style belt at the side seems, and it gives him the waist support that he likes but is loose up front. I figured if he was going to need a real belt someday, he might as well get used to it now since he's too little to mind being nudie and having me show him how it all goes. I ended up making him a wee thong style for recital after he "squished something" painfully while doing Echappe (needs to mind his turn-out). It was just a length of 3" elastic for the waist (He loves wide elastic for helping his posture). The rest I cut from an old tee shirt using a pair of his briefs and the capezio belt as patterns. It was a pain to do, but turned out really well and he was comfortable in it all day for recital. Hopefully it will work for performances until he fits better in the youth size.

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers. EMGlad!!!!!!!!

I edited your posts to remove any identifying information, which at the moment, may seem like nothing to you, but as your DS progresses, may take on more import. :P

Sounds like you've been able to find some excellent solutions!

Just wanted to repeat my thanks to all of you. Recital is tomorrow. Last week we had in-studio dress. Grandson wore his leotard, tights and tunic and said they were very comfortable. A couple of young girls and moms commented on his lack of pants, but the advanced dancers swooped in to announce how cool he looked, so all was well. I am prejudiced, but I think he looks adorable. (On a side note, did the school photographer have trouble figuring out how to pose your boys? He and his sister were together, and it was pretty goofy!)

Our photographer had the same problem when my son walked in, and the teacher was so busy on picture day, she wasn't right there at that moment. My son decided to use his final pose for the upcoming recital. It was just arms and feet in 4th, but I got the photos yesterday, and it turned out really cute. As he gets older I want to have something in mind beforehand. I was thinking of next time having him stand in posse or tendu derriere or maybe get down on one knee in a lunge with either both of his hands resting on his forward thigh or hips or have his back arm in 5th as if he were walking a ballerina around. I don't think I explain it well, I don't remember terms for everything yet.... If he were at the right angle that would be a very masculine pose though.

Great ideas. Take a look at ballet photos of professional dancers for more ideas!!!

My son now 17 has been dancing since he was about five. No dance belt was needed for many years! I did alter a small mens when he was about ten for a performance. I also found that mens bikini briefs made of lycra was a good substitute.

I would also find good Russian ballet classes/training for little boys. We did the local studios, hopping from one studio to the next to finally ended up with Russian training. The Vaganova training is amazing and they know what to do with boys.

As he progresses watch out for studios who offer you free classes because they want boys so badly. They want boys to use for he girls to make performances look good but they are clueless on training boys and really don't care! Sad but we found this again and again. A good Russian school is great. Whether he is the only boy or not is not important. I searched high and low for male teachers too.

Good male teachers love having little boys.

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, Rennick!

I'm glad you were able to find a good school for your son.

We do have to be a bit careful about generalizations, such as "All Russian training is good" and "All schools that offer free tuition to males are bad". There is excellent Russian training out there, alongside poor Russian training, and there are prestigious ballet schools who offer free tuition to males alongside schools who use nothing but pink paint in their classrooms and wouldn't know what to do with a male dancer. :thumbsup: And there may even be some schools out there who have pink walls but do train their male dancers well. :angry2:

Rennick and EMGlad- I am delighted to "meet" you. Love your ideas. I will keep them in mind as time goes on- it looks like DGS is wanting to stay with dance, especially after having a 2 boy class this summer!

Ladies, you may consider editing your posts to take out personal identifying information. It may not be of consideration while they are young, but may be important as they age. :thumbsup: