Ballet Talk for Dancers

Very tight hip muscles HELP!

Dream2Dance

I have very very tight hip muscles and this effects my training in almost everything I do...... Can somebody please tell me some excercises/stretches that would help? Because this has been a problem for a while and I'm not sure what to do.

Dream2Dance

Dream2Dance, just in case you missed the opportunity to introduce yourself in the "Welcome" forum, Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers!!!!

What kinds of exercises has your ballet teacher suggested?

Hello My dance teacher has given me basic stretches like froggy and straddle splits but that was a while ago and they have helped a little but my hips are still really tight.

Dream2Dance

• Administrators

Dream, flexibility exercises need to be done ONLY when you are fully warmed up. And they need to be done daily, either between barre and center of class, or right after class. The frog is not one of our favorites here, as it tends to be hard on the knees. Splits are fine, as you are in control of the stretch.

Have you done any Pilates work? That can be very helpful too. :lol:

I dont get much time to stretch in class because we have alot of work to get through for our exam. I do most of my stretching at home. I didnt know that Pilates could help tight hip muscles! :thumbsup: What kind of excercises are there?

Dream2Dance

• Administrators

There are exercises for everything in Pilates, but you need to work with an instructor to learn them. I do not recommend trying to learn them from a book or video, or from another student. Certified Pilates instructors will know exactly what you need and make sure that you are doing it correctly.

Thankyou Victoria Leigh! I'm not sure if I will have enough time for pilates classes :thumbsup: because I have ballet lessons all through the week Monday to Friday, then I help my sister teach little children ballet on Saturdays for most of the day![my sister is starting a school :thumbsup: and there is alot of children :)] I have the rest of Saturday free I think, I'll ask Dad if there are any classes available then :thumbsup:

Dream2Dance