Ballet Talk for Dancers

Why is Ballet so unfair?

Dream2Dance

At my ballet studio I am in class with 3 other girls. I try really hard every lesson and really struggle to fight my way through the work to achieve good results. 2 of theses girls have perfect ballet bodies and they dont try half as hard as I do and get Better results :( To top it off my ballet teacher particularly favours one because she thinks she can be a dancer, and I feel like she doesnt really care that much about me[she is always correcting and praising the perfect two].....I am at the bottom of my class[ in my opinion] but I try the hardest! it is really unfair! Why are they getting better results? I really want to show my teacher I can do just as well..... but I dont know what to do.

Have you tried to speak with your teacher one on one? Perhaps your teacher would be interested to hear how you feel and be able to advise you on aspects of your classroom work that can help you to feel better about yourself. Often our perception of things can hinder our ability to advance. Set up a meeting with your teacher ASAP.

Ballet is not inherently unfair, but it is a difficult study, made even more difficult by the fact that it is a human endeavor, passed on from one human being to another, and thus subject to all the vagaries of human relations.

Have you tried to speak with your teacher one on one? Perhaps your teacher would be interested to hear how you feel and be able to advise you on aspects of your classroom work that can help you to feel better about yourself. Often our perception of things can hinder our ability to advance. Set up a meeting with your teacher ASAP.

No I have'nt but if I did I think I would make her angery. :) She does correct me; but spends ALOT of time on the other two, particularly the one that I mentioned before. I dont know if she is unintentionally doing it but it is really upsetting me. She REALLY wants this girl in my class to be a dancer anyone can see it [and this girl actually doesnt know if she wants to dance for a career!!]But I would love nothing more! last year in our Christmas concert My teacher gave all the nice parts to her and she was onstage nearly the whole time, while I danced with the little kids helping them out on stage,[The little kids were adorable but it would have been nice to have a good part :unsure:]

And I dont think my teacher is all that fond of me, and I dont understand why,

Dream2Dance

Last year, in a class with like 20 kids (I don't remember how many, hence the like), there were two stellar students. Both of them moved up a ton of levels, and took my level last year as an "easy" class. The teacher went so far as to put one of the girls in the front for my dance and say "girls, if you don't know what to do, follow so-and-so. I kind of shrugged it off, because its true, I was bad, but this year the same teacher seems to dislike me :P. What I do is I work extra hard!

Here are some tips...

1) Be there early, always be on time, bring the barres out.

2) At barre, try to be extra sharp on every step (more than you are, if possible), and ask questions whenever you have one (this is important for me because I am shy to ask questions)

3) in the center, try to be front and center

4) Across the floor, go in the first group.

Obviously, behave well and all that-no talking!

Finally, if it gets to be way to much, simply say "Hey, teacher, I felt like my (insert a step you struggled with) was off today. do you have tips?" if you do this medium enough (not tootoo much) she might start helping you in class.

hope this helps!

booklover234 what wonderful advice! :thumbsup: I am sure you will excel at whatever it is you decide you would like to do with your life. Ballet is a very difficult field in which to attain excellence however with a good attitude, hard work and an interest to be the best you can be one can achieve so very much. :)

Dream2Dance, make ballet your reality not only a dream. While a career may not be possible for all, being the best you can be is something you absolutely can attain. Booklovers advice is excellent. :thumbsup:

Sorry, Sophiasmom, but this is the Young Dancers Forum. No one but young students and teacher moderators allowed here, but you could post your concerns in the Parents of Dancers under 13 Forum.

Thankyou for the tips! :thumbsup: It's very nice of you and everyone else to help me it is much appreciated :ermm:

Dream2Dance

• 2 months later...

I also ALWAYS used to feel like that!!!! It comes from the inside, I believe (not wierdly) and as soon as I started to beleive that I COULD do my work I immeaditely started to receive praise, when before I cried after every class because I could not get anything rrigght (or so I thought) but now I am confident even to stand at the front of the classroom and I enjoy every mmoment