Ballet Talk for Dancers

Wouldn't It Be Nice To....

...be able to do EVERYTHING your ballet teacher asks of you? What if one could do with their body what is commanded of it? That would be one powerful thing! :)

Ha ha, that would be fantastic wouldn't it? In my mind I can do everything my teacher asks of me, it's just getting that message down to my body where I sometimes run into problems :P

I guess we wouldn't be students if we were perfect. I hate dreaming super realistic dreams where I can lift my developpé 2nd straight up 6 o'clock, or turn 6 pirouettes en pointe. I wake up almost believing it! Then I get into class and am just as awkward as I ever was.

My mind says "yep, I can do that" - until I look in the mirror. I remember my son's ski coach, back when my youngest was around the age of 7 or so, the coach was shocked and amazed that the little guy could basically do anything and everything the coach asked and with good technique. At the time, I wasn't dancing, and it had been about 5 years since I took class. I thought "gee, what's the big deal". Oh boy, then, about five years later I went back to dance class, and realized - wow, that kid was amazing! Long story short, kid turned out to be a fantastic skier, but his passion was and still is tennis. My passion is dance and well, I'm not so good, but I'm still working on giving the teacher what she wants and we both concede it's a work in progress! Now - I'm wondering, if it is difficult, is this what keeps us challenged and why we continue to do it?

I so agree! Monday night class I found myself on the low end of the experience pole...thus the class was amped up to the rest of the class. I made it through all the way to allegro in centre where I proceeded to fall apart. It was a little beyond me, and my teacher insisted I stay in front an "use my brain." :thumbsup:

So I fell back on my defense mechanism of giggling in nervousness while I bumbled. :ermm:

...be able to do EVERYTHING your ballet teacher asks of you? What if one could do with their body what is commanded of it? That would be one powerful thing! :)

What would the point be? If you could do everything without working at it, it'd be boring. It's the challenge that makes it worth doing.