Ballet Talk for Dancers
Momof3darlings

2008-2011 Tell us about your Graduating Class: Pre-pros

calamitous

yes that is the school. Many people already know it. DD was one of the Kayla's on the show. We are vey glad it is gone!

Momof3darlings

Thanks for sharing about the graduating class calamitous!

Momof3darlings

bump

lemlemish

There is a short article in today's local paper about SFB's graduates.

From the article-

"This year's top-level dancers have already won jobs at Oregon Ballet Theatre, Boston Ballet II, Ballet Austin, Ballet Theatre of Maryland and elsewhere. But the school's central purpose is to groom talent for San Francisco Ballet's own ranks. Six of this year's finishing students have won positions in the company, having caught the eye of Artistic Director Helgi Tomasson....

We have dancers going off to college at Princeton, Stanford and Indiana University."

ballet interviewhttp://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/05/21/PKV41DDHDV.DTL

The article has an interview with the school's director and an interesting look into what happens to dancers who do not immediately go pro.

BelaNina

Lemlemish - When they refer to the top level in the article, are they talking about trainees or the top level of the school, level 8?

lemlemish

I'm not completely sure. I know that the trainees are considered part of the school, not the company. So I'm assuming that when they mention company positions they mean apprentices or even corps dancers - not moved into a trainee position. However, I have a heard time believing that any of the trainees went off to regular college. My educated guess is that they are referring to levels 7/8 and trainees as one group. They call them "finishing students" not graduates.

Momof3darlings

Thank you lemlemish for sharing that information.

BelaNina

Yes - thank you, Lemlemish! :)

Momof3darlings

And since it's officially summer in the majority of school systems, time for you, the members to share this info.

lemlemish

More details about the info from the article above discussing SFB's "finishing students." These are from the 1st and 2nd year trainees, which are levels 7 & 8 from the school. 6 women, 10 men had their placements listed in the program from the Spring Showcase.

4 apprentices at SFB - 2 female, 2 male

2 corps at SFB - 1 female, 1 male

1 - Ballet Theater of Maryland (male)

1 apprentice - Oregon Ballet Theater (male)

2 corps - Oregon Ballet Theater 1 male, 1 female

1 - Cincinnati Ballet II (male)

1 - Boston Ballet II (female)

1 - Ballet Austin (female)

1 - Ballet Austin II (male)

1 - Ballet West II (male)

1 - Ballet Memphis (male)

The very highest level has about 20 women and 10 men. Some of the students listed above were only in level 7.

balletrocs2

Here are reviews of the SFBS Student Showcase which name some grads and where they're going: SFBS Showcase Review

and SFBS review

swanchat

From Royal Ballet School program: Graduate contracts

1 girl and 2 boys to Royal Ballet

1 girl and 1 boy to Royal Birmingham Ballet

1 girl and 1 boy to English National Ballet

2 girls to Scottish Ballet

1 Boy to Northern Ballet Theatre

1 Boy to Wayne McGregor|Random Dance

1 Boy to Ballet de l"Opera National de Bordeaux

1 Boy to Stuttgart Ballet

1 Boy to Vienna State Opera Ballet

2 Boys to Zurich Ballet

2 Girls to Dresden Ballet

1 Girl to Karlsruhe State Theatre of Baden

1 Girl to Estonian Ballet

1 Boy to Cape Town City Ballet

1 Boy to Boston Ballet

1 Boy to Royal New Zealand Ballet

voltadevoltaire

Dear Lemlemish,

May I note briefly that "finishing students" are NOT generally in level 7 and 8 at SFBS. Trainees are a category of their own, and levels 7 and 8 make up the last years in the school, or its advanced division. Level 8's and trainees take classes together, and occasionally, a student might be taken from level 7 and made a trainee, or from level 8, skip over the trainee level and be invited to be an apprentice, or in the corps, but trainees are not just students. They take classes and also attend many company rehearsals, filling in for corps spots as needed. Level 8 and even sometimes a few level 7 women may also be drafted to fill in the corps or "super" ranks as needed. 6 women out of a class if 20 or so to get jobs is not all that successful, in my view, for a school with such a fine reputation. However it is a hard market in which to get a job, as we all know, and many may have opted to put off the job hunt and go to college either for good, or for a year or two, until things look up. Many of SFBS's male students got jobs this past year, however, necessitating a drastic replenishment of its male student ranks. Therefore, it was a very poor year for girls to try to get into the school from the summer program. There was unfortunately almost no available housing for girls, as most of the available rooms in the tiny dorm went to men. Better luck next year for the women, both for the job hunt and for getting a spot at SFBS.

More details about the info from the article above discussing SFB's "finishing students." These are from the 1st and 2nd year trainees, which are levels 7 & 8 from the school. 6 women, 10 men had their placements listed in the program from the Spring Showcase.

4 apprentices at SFB - 2 female, 2 male

2 corps at SFB - 1 female, 1 male

1 - Ballet Theater of Maryland (male)

1 apprentice - Oregon Ballet Theater (male)

2 corps - Oregon Ballet Theater 1 male, 1 female

1 - Cincinnati Ballet II (male)

1 - Boston Ballet II (female)

1 - Ballet Austin (female)

1 - Ballet Austin II (male)

1 - Ballet West II (male)

1 - Ballet Memphis (male)

The very highest level has about 20 women and 10 men. Some of the students listed above were only in level 7.

Victoria Leigh

In today's economic situation, with fewer companies and fewer dancers being hired, it seems to me that 16 dancers from one school receiving contracts is very good, no matter what level they came from.

Momof3darlings
6 women out of a class if 20 or so to get jobs is not all that successful, in my view, for a school with such a fine reputation.

I agree with Ms. Leigh, 16 students regardless of level getting jobs from one school in today's times is very good. And the 6 out of 20 is very good as well. Remember, they call it the Brutal 1-2% regardless of school's size or reputation.