Ballet Talk for Dancers
Momof3darlings

2008-2011 Tell us about your Graduating Class: Pre-pros

BelaNina

What Voltedevoltaire pointed out is true about the Trainees being a separate level above the Levels 7 and 8 at the school. Also, many Trainees in past years have come from schools outside of SFBS. I don't know what the statistics are this year, and with the new school administration they may be trying to change that and select more students from Level 8 to be Trainees.

I agree that it is impressive that 6 women from a single school, whether they were students from the top levels of the school or Trainees, found employment this year.

voltadevoltaire

Oh, do forgive me, I did not mean to say that 16 dancers placed is bad, quite the opposite! Of course it is excellent. Just that, it is mostly men who happened to get the jobs last year, and and that of the 17 girls remaining after you subtract the three who went to the company either as corps or apprentices, I would still maintain that 3 of 17 getting jobs outside of SFB is not all that spectacular for such a great school, which speaks more to the economic climate, to the lack of entry level jobs out there at the moment. I believe the Royal Ballet School has the best placement rate of almost any school after taking in whatever students the want for the company, and I would be happy to be corrected about any of this. Apologies if I sounded unduly critical of SFBS; I did not intend that to be the thrust of my post. Someone in an earlier post said that SFB mostly is developing talent to supply its own ranks, which in itself is a tribute to the school's loyalty to its students and determination to draw from its own school. But SAB and JKO I believe to be stronger in the percentage of students they are placing outside of their own walls; does anyone know the statistics on this? What about Houston, Miami, PNB, Boston, etc.etc. ? Of the big 'company' schools, what percentage of women who are not chosen for their school's company are getting exterior jobs, and how many are going to college or on to other pursuits? I would love to have a recent update on this.

Also, I have already been corrected by the mom of an SFBS student this morning who asks me to add that Trainees have their own class separate from the level 8 students.

balletgirlie1207
I'm not completely sure. I know that the trainees are considered part of the school, not the company. So I'm assuming that when they mention company positions they mean apprentices or even corps dancers - not moved into a trainee position. However, I have a heard time believing that any of the trainees went off to regular college. My educated guess is that they are referring to levels 7/8 and trainees as one group. They call them "finishing students" not graduates.

Actually one dancer from level 7 last year went to Princeton. One went to Stanford from level 8. One went to Indiana U. from level 8(the only "arts, dance" focused of them all).. One went to Skidmore...

What tends to happen is that students from levels 7, 8, and trainee leave when they are either graduating from highschool or after what would've been their freshman year in college.

Momof3darlings

Great! But here's the thing, this is not a thread to debate whether the school is doing what one might believe it should. THIS is a thread to tell us what the graduating class did! Let's not turn this wonderful thread of information into a SFBS discussion solely. We have a SFBS thread for that and welcome your discussing it there!

mirabray
Oh, do forgive me, I did not mean to say that 16 dancers placed is bad, quite the opposite! Of course it is excellent. Just that, But SAB and JKO I believe to be stronger in the percentage of students they are placing outside of their own walls; does anyone know the statistics on this? What about Houston, Miami, PNB, Boston, etc.etc. ? Of the big 'company' schools, what percentage of women who are not chosen for their school's company are getting exterior jobs, and how many are going to college or on to other pursuits? I would love to have a recent update on this.

Actually some of these statistics were previously posted on the individual programs, example trainee, pre-professional schools. I was wondering if these numbers be move to each of the school, or trainee programs. As far as JKO, they list the students on their web sites. And where is SAB information?

mirabray

JKO

1– Boston Ballet II

2 – National Ballet of Canada

3 – ABTII

2 – Alberta Ballet

1 – LA Ballet

1 The Juilliard School

2 – Orlando Ballet II

1 – Ballet Grand Diva

1 – Tulsa Ballet

2 – Colorado Ballet II

1 – Washington Ballet II

mydarlindancer

Mirabray...was this the total number of students in the class of 2010 at JKO?

mirabray

This was on the web site, 2009-2010, I just took out the names, 17 total. Some one can double it.

http://www.abt.org/education/jko_school.asp

Over the years, with most schools like SFB, JKO and others some are added and some decline offers at later date.

mydarlindancer

I just took a look, and it is indeed looks like the entire group attained employment, but for one going to Julliard. That is impressive.

AliceB

Great info on JKO graduating class and congrats to that school for their placements. I, too, would love to know the placements of SAB, Houston, Miami, PNB, Boston etc. and how many female dancers in particular get placed or choose college dance or change the paths of their lives away from dance. I was always hopeful that company based schools would be able to place all their dancers somewhere as professionals and am curious as to just how many do not get those placements even after completing SAB, Houston, etc.

mira

I'm familiar with the June 2010 female graduates of SAB and think all got jobs.

3 - NYCB

1 - Royal Ballet

4 - LA Ballet

1 - PA Ballet II

1 - Kansas City Ballet

1 - Ballet Met

1 - Ballet Arizona

(additionally - 4 girls were hired from D level into NYCB last October)

apologies in advance if I have missed anyone.

balletgirlie1207

They all may list students on their websites but I don't think they list out of how many students they have/had in the class total, they also don't say "and the rest of the remaining students were let go from the school" or "the rest of the students in the level were the younger ones, so they have another year for us to decide what to do with them".. I frankly think that it is hard to tell. Period.

Guest judydelo

I'm a bit late to the party, but I thought I'd still add the results for Ellison Ballet's Preprofessional Training Program in NYC.

6 dancer's graduated

3 Tulsa Ballet II

1 Nashville Ballet II

1 Janusphere Dance Company

1 Lexington Ballet

Momof3darlings

Since reports are beginning to come in, I will go ahead and put up our "tell us" threads. Remember, it helps if you are willing to list the actual school, however, we do understand some people's hesitation in doing so. What the school name offers is a chance for others trying to determine whether a decision for residency, moving to the larger school, etc are worth it in consistent contracts under newer hiring practices. This information is hard to decipher on the school's websites since most list all their alumni and we have no way of knowing how many recent placements they had have.

We also ask that on this thread you include college attendance from your pre-pro/residency, company acceptances, trainee programs, corp, basically everything and that you are specific. Specific in nature includes the level of placement for company positions. As an example, if you list solely "Dakota Ballet" then people will assume that this is a corp or above position when you may have meant it was a Trainee position or vice versa. So listing as much of the detail in that regard as you have will be helpful. This will be an ongoing thread as newsletters go out and end of year concerts occur. But since we're seeing some reports up early, we're listing the threads for you. Thanks in advance!

dance_notations