Ballet Talk for Dancers
paxaman0

Dance belts ugh...

paxaman0

Okay 2 things, heh sorry to ask this here, but I just bought my tights and dance belt. I tried wearing my dance belt today with my tights over it. It felt very tight and I was fine with that but after I took it off like 2-3 hours later I experienced immense pain in my groin area for about half an hour. Was I wearing it wrong somehow? :unsure:

Second, how do I wash my tights? I know that I wash my dancebelt by hand though so that's okay.

olddude

Does the dance belt fit right? I wear men's Medium in street clothes, but X-Large in dancewear. My first dance belt was a Medium - that's how I learned this painful lesson. Seriously!

I wash my dance clothes in cold water with Woolite on the gentle cycle, and hang them to dry. (Heat kills spandex!) They get used for one day only between washings. I've only tossed one pair of tights in seven+ years, and each item gets used and washed once every week or two.

Mel Johnson

That's really the most likely mischief-maker in the dance belt field.

Here's a thread from 2005 on how the damn things fit and work:

http://dancers.invisionzone.com/index.php?...c=23609&hl=

OnlyBoy

Also check this : www.dancebelt.info

they explain a lot. :unsure:

Edited by OnlyBoy

paxaman0
Does the dance belt fit right? I wear men's Medium in street clothes, but X-Large in dancewear. My first dance belt was a Medium - that's how I learned this painful lesson. Seriously!

I wash my dance clothes in cold water with Woolite on the gentle cycle, and hang them to dry. (Heat kills spandex!) They get used for one day only between washings. I've only tossed one pair of tights in seven+ years, and each item gets used and washed once every week or two.

Yah I think it does. It is fairly tight and I am now just starting to get used to it. Maybe I just wasn't used to wearing a thong and had to get used to the feeling.

Mel Johnson

An additional thought suggested by Ms. Leigh: Don't wear a dance belt brand new - give it a washing with a fabric softener before you put it on for the first time. It might help.

zx12richard

Wear your dancebelt above your tights??? That is new for me.

For both articles there should be a wash label in it. Think you need to follow these instructions

dennyland

Go online to: doctor dance belt

silvergreydancer

Just one comment. Dance belts weren't meant to sit down in. If you are doing a car ride after class, remove it before you depart! LOL

Kalashnikov

Very true!

I lay serveral hours in an Emergency Room in "full attire". Very uncomfortable 😉

Colman

I will note that I recently got a Wear Moi thong dance belt that is about 1000% more comfortable than the simple thong sewed into the waistband variety. Their construction - like the built-ins in their leotards - is much more comfortable than the others I dealt with.

TYR

...and slightly less likely to turn over at the band!

Kalashnikov

Colman, What Wear Moi model did you try and what were the others you dealt with?

I'm using Capezio N26 and N5930 depending on my mood or if I'm partnering/rehearsing or just taking a technique class.

dennyland

I have great news for you.  Dancejox is 1000% more comfortable than Wear Moi.  So comfortable you could wear it all day and even sit in it for hours.

Colman

I think it’s the dance belt wide. Unlike the Capezio ones it has a hemmed piece for the thong rather than a relatively rigid piece of thick cloth - rather like you can see in the pictures on the  Dancejox site.