Ballet Talk for Dancers

Are ankle weights safe?

pumpkinangel

Looking for opinions and/or experiences. My 12 yo dd asked her teacher what she needed to do to prepare herself for going on pointe. She has been in ballet for 2 years and a little behind the rest of her class as they went on pointe last fall. We just joined this pre-pro in February. DD has been taking technique classes 3 x a week at 1 1/2 hours each and a half hour "pointe" class (she just goes onto demi) each week. Her teacher said that she is very close and suggested some exercises for her to do in addition to class. One thing she suggested was wearing ankle weights to do releve's and also wearing them to technique class for the entire class. I have read that this can be dangerous and can injure her knees and that it should especially not be done in pre-teens. Has anyone else heard of this or know this to be true? Thank you for your input. DD is scared that she will "NEVER" go on pointe if we don't allow her to do this. Drama :wink:

• Administrators

I don't like the idea of the weights at all. Sorry. I think they could be dangerous for a 12 year old. And there is no rush to get on pointe. She has only studied 2 years. Not long enough. Patience. I know that is difficult for a 12 year old, but it's the only safe way. You can't rush these things.

Thank you for your advice. I told dd's teacher tonight that she won't be using the weights. She was very gracious and said that it was fine and that dd should just do the other exercises that she recommended and everything would be fine. Showing your response to my daughter helped her to come to terms with the decision. Since I don't know anything (in the case of ballet, she is correct :yes:, it was great to have your back-up.