Ballet Talk for Dancers

What muscle is this???!

Dream2Dance

When I dance I constantly try to "feel" my inner thighs working but I end up "feeling" a muscle on the outside of my leg it's not the not the quadriceps or the adductors [because the adductors are on the inner part of my leg...] I have no idea what this muscle is... I really feel it when I try to push my knees back in demi plie. Can anyone tell me what this unidentified muscle of mine is! :D

Dream2Dance

Sounds like the vastus lateralis, which IS part of the quadriceps; it's just not on the very top of the thigh.

If I feel the vastus lateralis working in my demi plies does this mean I am doing them wrong? are you supposed to feel them working whilst dancing?

Dream2Dance

Nope. That's normal system operation. That you can feel it separately from the rest of the quads may indicate that it's a little irritated, but not a worrisome amount.

Oh that's good :) But I am trying to find a way to really feel my inner thighs working, and so far I'm not succesful. I always feel my bottom muscles and my vastus lateralis. Is there anything I can do to stregthen my inner thighs. :D

Dream2Dance

Tendus, dégagés, frappés, and so on. All of the in-out movements of the whole leg. Don't be concerned if you can't feel them all the time. When a leg moves, there are a lot of sensations going on all at once.

Thank you!!!! :) I'm sorry I ask a lot of questions, I just want to be sure I'm doing things correctly :wub:

Dream2Dance