Ballet Talk for Dancers

Trigger Point Therapy

Does anyone have any suggestions for a book I could buy for self-administration of trigger point therapy. Our library has only one, and I have not found the diagrams very helpful. While it has been a wonderful introduction to the topic, I could use more pictures. The one I borrowed from the library is The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook by Clair Davies.

It is my understanding that that particular book is the best for what you are asking. Perhaps you could use one session with a PT to help?

Thank you. I am thinking of a massage therapist as a starting point, as I would need a medical referral to a PT. I've also considered going to the chiro as a starting point. They helped me pinpoint the imbalance in my leg lengths and pelvis many years ago. If necessary, I know I can get a referral to the PT from an ortho, as I am probably due back for an appointment anyway. Any thoughts as to what is the best way to proceed?

• Administrators

My massage therapist is the one who recommended the book to me. She is a deep tissue therapist, but also a teacher of massage therapy and highly qualified and knowledgeable.

Thanks, Victoria. I think seeing a massage therapist would be the easiest way to start out.

I had that book a few years ago, and I'd say that it's more designed for someone studying physical or trigger point therapy. I found it to be too technical and a little too much information for a layperson.

What helped me most was going to a physical therapist and learning a few exercises that could be done at home with a foam roller, tennis ball, or this cane-like thing for getting to areas on my back. Good luck - trigger point therapy is wonderful.

You may be aware of needing a Dr. referral for PT in you state, but it is not necessary in states that have "direct access" to PT. Glad to hear "actionwoman" got good information from a PT for a "home exercise program!"