Ballet Talk for Dancers

Warm weather class attire?

JeffH

I've been taking ballet lessons for about one and a half years now. I normally wear black tights and a performance (i.e., Under-Armor style) tee. However, on a 90 degree day not so long ago, there was no AC in the studio and it was really uncomfortable. The next class I tried wearing shorts, but ran into two problems:

1) I wasn't sure what kind of socks to wear. I bought some black ankle height nylon socks, but that when my teacher first saw them on me, she thought I had left my (black) ballet shoes at home. She suggested I get tall white socks, but that just seems like an odd look on a grown man to me. I don't want to go the no-socks route, because I'm worried about my shoes getting all sweaty. If you wear shorts, what kind of socks do you go with?

2) I got the worst leg cramp ever. The AC was back on. Is it possible that my legs weren't warmed up enough? Might have tights mitigated this cramp?

Finally, if you do wear shorts, do you go with form-fitting bike style shorts, or with slightly baggier exercise shorts? Thanks!

Jeff

It's class - don't worry about fashion! As long as you DO have shoes on, the color of socks doesn't really matter. Since your teacher is expressing concern about the dark ones, perhaps better to go with whites. Remember that practice clothes are there in order to allow you to be seen. Go with bike shorts - baggies just conceal faults, like hips out of alignment and so forth.

Cramps after can indicate a too-quick cool-off. Better to add a "warm-down" regimen of stretches after class. Tights will help.

It's class - don't worry about fashion! As long as you DO have shoes on, the color of socks doesn't really matter. Since your teacher is expressing concern about the dark ones, perhaps better to go with whites. Remember that practice clothes are there in order to allow you to be seen. Go with bike shorts - baggies just conceal faults, like hips out of alignment and so forth.

Cramps after can indicate a too-quick cool-off. Better to add a "warm-down" regimen of stretches after class. Tights will help.

Unfortunately, this cramp hit in the middle of barre exercises, while we were doing degages.

I usually wear a WearMoi Tango short unitard (http://www.wearmoi.com/details-produit.php?id=83), or short sleeve leotard and lycra short shorts in hot weather, possibly with a baggy vest / T on top to warm up.

Also I wear white or black trainer style socks with my ballet shoes, then you don't look like a douche with ankle/calf high socks, but you don't get sweaty minging ballet shoes either!

Not sure about your leg cramps, never had that problem tbh.

DancingJon

x

Cramps - is your water intake OK? Or salt intake - need a sports drink?

Jim.

Extremities cool down quicker than the core. Don legwarmers and warmups 5-10 minutes after class, and drink until you pee.

• 2 weeks later...
See "Tights will help."

Thanks, Mel. What exactly is it about tights that help you to avoid mid-class cramps? Is it the compression, the fact that the muscles are kept warm, or some combination of the two?

Jim, I'm pretty sure my water intake is okay, I drink about 5 glasses a day, and have been dancing for a year and a half with no serious problems.

DancingJon, thanks for the suggestion on trainer style socks. Maybe I'll try that if I wear shorts again. For now, I'm back to tights.

Jeff, I have no physiological data to back me up on this, but I'm banking on the compression effect of the tights (sort of like a light pair of MAST trousers) as the primary factor, then the cover of the skin, as a sort of very light legwarmer. Sometimes, little factors have outsize results.

• 4 weeks later...

My legs are too hairy for shorts. Beats and brisés irritate me. I find thin nylon tights help sweat evaporate easier than bare skin. UA style shirts are better than a cotton T shirt.

• 4 weeks later...

altough pulling the socks across the the leg might make you look like a dork - it's useful for sliding on the barre during streches. I'd go with that. or full length tights.