Ballet Talk for Dancers
Sign in to follow this  
Hamorah

Ballets: New releases of old ballets

Hamorah

I just read in my Dancing Times that a new series of DVD's are being released, which are all on archive ballet performances. We were talking about this recently and I bemoaned the fact that so many ballets are lost to us and are not released on DVD and then I noticed this advert. The first one is of a performance from 1958 of Giselle with Nadia Nerina and Nikolei Fedeyechev with Lydia Sokolova as the mother. On the same DVD is a 1953 performance of Les Sylphides with Alicia Markova, Svetlana Beriosova and Violetta Elvin. Fantastic! Available from September will be Pineapple Poll and The Lady and the Fool! The company is called ICA Classics.

Miss Persistent

Oh how exciting! Do you have any information on when/where they will be available?

Hamorah

Well according to the Dancing Times the first one Giselle/Les Sylyphides is available to order from www.Amazon.co.uk or www.prestoclasssical.co.uk. It says that the the region code is O. Don't know if that means that it will also work in the US or not. The series will be released gradually and all the recordings are BBC archive ones from the 50's. I can't believe that they are finally releasing these treasures............

Miss Persistent
Well according to the Dancing Times the first one Giselle/Les Sylyphides is available to order from www.Amazon.co.uk or www.prestoclasssical.co.uk. It says that the the region code is O. Don't know if that means that it will also work in the US or not. The series will be released gradually and all the recordings are BBC archive ones from the 50's. I can't believe that they are finally releasing these treasures............

My understanding is the DVD code region 0 should work worldwide, as it is almost a 'non-code' code... If that makes sense!

Thank you for this information Hamorah, I think I'm as excited as you are!