Ballet Talk for Dancers

Joffrey E-Mail Received

Lorimac--I'd like to clear up something. I think it will help those wondering about the selectivity of this program in regards to this letter. You stated your DD is 16 now? And you stated that she attended 2 years ago (auditioned 3)? So you're saying a Trainee position was offered based on her audition at 13? That just seems odd to me even with the different way the Trainee program is at JNY. Not that your daughter is not wonderful and deserving, I'm sure she is. But just that a WHOLE lot of learning goes on between 13 and 16 and one would think it would be important to see that dancer and see if the years have been good ones or not.

The letter does state "in the last three years". I just find it odd that letters could be sent to students who stopped dancing after their last visit to JNY. Very odd in my personal but humble opinion.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Momof3darlings

• 2dancing

• denipark

• lorimac13

It would appear to me that they have 10 spots in their program that need filling and they figure the list of SI auditionees is a good target demographic market to mine. It is a business, after all. :thumbsup:

Lorimac--I'd like to clear up something. I think it will help those wondering about the selectivity of this program in regards to this letter. You stated your DD is 16 now? And you stated that she attended 2 years ago (auditioned 3)? So you're saying a Trainee position was offered based on her audition at 13? That just seems odd to me even with the different way the Trainee program is at JNY. Not that your daughter is not wonderful and deserving, I'm sure she is. But just that a WHOLE lot of learning goes on between 13 and 16 and one would think it would be important to see that dancer and see if the years have been good ones or not.

The letter does state "in the last three years". I just find it odd that letters could be sent to students who stopped dancing after their last visit to JNY. Very odd in my personal but humble opinion.

I quoted the email exactly. I don't really understand it either, but that's what it says. And, yes, my daughter has improved more than I can describe over the last couple of years, so maybe they saw something back then that they really liked. We will look into it but since she was at a pre-pro residential program last year and has decided that she wants to spend her junior year of high school at home, we may repectfully decline for this year. And just to be clear, dd has not "stopped dancing". She just didn't audition for Joffrey in the last couple of years and has never attended Joffrey NYC Summer. She was at SAB for two summers, attended Exploring Ballet w/ Suzanne Farrell and is at CPYB this summer.

I think dancemaven is right on the money. They are looking for good candidates to fill spots and sending emails to kids who they thought had potential was an easy way to start.

I'm still guessing that email went out to way more than 200 of the 12,000.00 (what's with the decimal point to the hundredth place?) dancers with potential. Did any of you look at the costs of the program? Zoinks! Good thing they have some scholarship $$.

Thank you denipark for your response. And just to clarify I wasn't meaning your daughter had "stopped dancing" but just that it was possible with the way they were doing it that a dancer who received that letter because they had potential at 13 could have come home from JNY and stopped dancing and then received a letter 2 years later inviting them to return as a Trainee. So the potential at 13, although it still could have been there, had not been worked on for 2 years.

Maybe we should be asking this - is there anyone who had an audition from two-three years ago that didn't get the email? It just sounds like it went out to everyone. Not that any of your kids aren't talented. But it 20 people just from this board alone got it, and they are only looking for 10 kids, it seems a little off to me. I'm thinking it went out to more than 200 kids.

Does anyone remember expressing interest in the year round program on their application forms when they initially auditioned? In my DD's experience when she was at Joffrey everyone who had expressed an interest in the Trainee program on their audition form that attended the SI ended up being offered the year round Trainee program while there no matter what level they had been placed in. This kind of made us suspect of the actual selectivity of the year round program because as dancemaven said it is a business after all and they have to fill all of their slots. We have always since then taken the news of offers of year round placements of acquaintances with a grain of salt. This particular situation makes that more apparent.

All of that said, there is still an excellent staff and the training is solid at Joffrey. There is something to consider there if you can swing the cost.

DD has never auditioned for Joffrey NYC but a dancer from her home studio attended last year and may be returning next year.

I have never seen any information on the outcome after attending the trainee program. How many dancers get contracts?

Yep, thanks deni! I did mean lorimac

My son got the email, and he doesn't have any talent at all. OK, just kidding. :flowers: He did attend the summer program (performance track) in 2010, is now almost 16, but did not audition this past winter. I assumed it was as dancemaven guessed - a good target market to try to fill the spots. The email did say that Mr. D'Addario would be calling him personally to talk to him about it - I assumed that might not actually happen, but who knows....

It seems like they are expanding their program. There are three trainee programs - contemporary ballet, classical ballet and jazz and contemporary dance. The trainee programs have three levels - intermediate through professional. That leaves a lot of room for a lot of dancers with varying abilities.

Last year my daughter attended the jazz and contemporary summer program. The performance had class performances as well as audition only performances. There looked to be about 20 dancers who looked like they were ready to work. The rest looked like students.

Edit to add: We also got the same email. My daughter never auditioned for the ballet program, just the contemporary/jazz, but she just got the offer for the ballet program. It must have mistakenly went out to their mass email list.

My daughter never auditioned for the ballet program, just the contemporary/jazz, but she just got the offer for the ballet program. It must have mistakenly went out to their mass email list.

Oh wow!

To err is human; to really tie things up in baby blue ribbons takes a computer.