Ballet Talk for Dancers

Two Good Schools - Very Different Opinions?

tldx

Sorry!! No slur intended!!! coupe66:blushing: I was really just commenting on the assumption that size equals age. I really put my foot in that one! My DD is always struggling with feeling like a giant around her peers, not to mention always getting passed over for roles simply because she does not fit in a costume; for her, she would prefer to be one of the tiny dancers! Again my apologies!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Clara 76

• cakers

• Albini

• tldx

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you! I think it's important that we all are specific when speaking about these things, because the words used can have very different meanings. :thumbsup:

Sorry Clara.

But how else should i have worded my post? She is in her schools dance compay (what i said was she was in her schools performance company), which is what i said and we are in the 13 and under forum and i said she was 7. I really dont understand how i was being unclear or confusing.

Not every company is associated with a professional ballet school. But they are still considered a dance company. I dont think that is being disengenious.

That's New York City Ballet, and the little angels at the entree to Act II are almost always children under 10. It does happen. There are those parts. At the Joffrey, we used to have Massine's "Pulcinella" and there were "little Pulcinellas" who followed a "Grandfather Pulcinella" around the stage. The little ones were usually sub-10s.

Mr. Johnson,

But are those little angels really part of the professional company, or are they students at the school? Are they paid? Yes, I've seen young children in professional productions, but they've been students at the company school, not actual company members.

But how else should i have worded my post? She is in her schools dance compay (what i said was she was in her schools performance company), which is what i said and we are in the 13 and under forum and i said she was 7. I really dont understand how i was being unclear or confusing.

Wasn't confusing to me Albini, for all the reasons mentioned.

I think we just have some teachers that are too accustomed to giving technical corrections! :wink:

But are those little angels really part of the professional company, or are they students at the school? Are they paid? Yes, I've seen young children in professional productions, but they've been students at the company school, not actual company members.

The children's parts are credited in the programs as being students of the School of American Ballet, but you will find parents describing their progenies' performances with the actual company in a host of strange ways, most close to the truth, some suggesting far, far more. The bare statement above gave no hint as to whether there were a professional or student company involved, that's why the teachers wanted to know.

I am assuming that you didnt mean to imply i was padding my dancers resume by stating she was in her schools performance company?

Are we now not able to say they dance in their schools performance company unless our kids are with a nationally known professional company and get paid?

I think we have travelled too far from reason at this point.

Regardless, had she danced and was in a big named professional company and was paid my advice would still stand and be accurate. There was no relevent reason to supply that info based on my advice.

No, not at all; it looks to me as though we are suffering from "internet disconnect" (We cannot see or hear one another, and expression which would cause no confusion whatever in normal conversation gets lost in the time it takes to communicate online). We also have "commercial inflation", where a school characterizes its performances as being by a "company", although a very different one from a professional organization, a civic group, but just a school's performance. Further complicating matters is the tendency of parents to make things sound bigger than they are (remember, we can't make an exchange as we would face-to-face). I remember once being told by a parent that her son was working for the "Department of State". I later found out that he was "working for" the State Department of Corrections, making license plates! :pinch: That's a little different from being an embassy attaché.

Let's take dancemaven's advice, and return to the topic as the original poster framed it. We've drifted rather a lot.

We have seen "School Company" inflation where we are. The School Company used to be for the most talented dancers who were in high school, with a rare mega-talented 8th grader added. Then it seemed like all students of a certain age were invited (all through supposed audition-only). Then they added middle schoolers. And now, the age has gone down even further for a junior company. The Company shows, which used to be very special, now seem more like an additional school recital. Here, the reality is monetary. More kids in the Company means more company fees collected and more kids in the show means more tickets sold to the shows.

I'm so sorry.....this is totally not where my head was.

I really didn't mean to imply anything- only to clarify, especially to those parents who are new to the board reading these threads for the first time... I just thought it might help if we are all clear by what we mean when we say "Company", as well as so many other dance terms that actually mean many different things.

I just know how confusing the dance world is to parents, and if we're saying Abbie Lee's Dance Company in the same breath as Houston Ballet Company, I could see where some confusion could result.

Many apologies.

Now that that's been cleared up . . .

And we have drifted so far off topic that now no one can remember what the topic is . . . . Please refer to the original post and let's get back on topic. :thumbsup:

I'm so sorry.....this is totally not where my head was.

I really didn't mean to imply anything- only to clarify, especially to those parents who are new to the board reading these threads for the first time... I just thought it might help if we are all clear by what we mean when we say "Company", as well as so many other dance terms that actually mean many different things.

I just know how confusing the dance world is to parents, and if we're saying Abbie Lee's Dance Company in the same breath as Houston Ballet Company, I could see where some confusion could result.

Many apologies.

Gothcha. Thanks.