Ballet Talk for Dancers

Television: "Dancemoms" on Lifetime

It almost seemed as if Nia and her mom thought that since she had a solo it was her turn to win, and that since she didn't win it was "unfair" of Kendall to compete against her and win. I didn't really understand that. When you compete there are no guarantees and you have to find value in doing your best. In competition there are too many external factors, judging is subjective, so base your happiness on how well you placed.

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Momof3darlings

• learningdance

• Curandera

• trythis

I'd say, base your happiness on how well you felt you performed your piece. The actual placing would just be extraneous icing (or not) to enjoy or shrug off.

Exactly. I would be very concerned for dancers who based their happiness on whether/how they placed or not at a comp.

Maybe true happiness can be found for this bunch in the checks they receive for appearing on this crazy show! :devil: Sorry for the snark! :angelnot:

Momof3darlings

I took Holly's issue not that she was concerned about not winning, but because of all the comments made by Kendall's mom (staged or not) concerning how much better than Nia she was, that she had just had enough of having to deal with that mom at the expense of her own child's feelings.

I also agree that they seem to be trying to show a bit of a softer side of Abby Lee and a bit of a crazier side of Cathy.

I did not take it as she was taking her marbles and going home for good.

I had a giggle dancemaven when I read this. You are right, I read more into that comment than there was. However, I have to say IMHO, that they have lost any marbles they had for agreeing to be on the show, and I am still looking for my marbles because I keep watching it! :lol::dizzy:

But, ADs do it all the time with casting. They decide to give Clara to this one girl to see if it boosts her confidence, or give Marzipan lead to a corps girl to see if she can carry it. Abby trying to let Nia place higher was almost the same thing.

Also, all of the kids dance together this weekend as ALDC, including Nia and Kendall. No one left, and no one is leaving. And, yes, Cathy and Abby are friendly in 'real' life.

Dancer830, LOL! Exactly . . . . I do have to wonder where my marbles have gone . . . . .

I think Holly was mad because Nia was put in the middle between the grown up (staged) fued between Abby/Jill and Abby/Cathy. Jill tended to put Nia down. I think Holly realizes Nia isn't the strongest dancer of the group, but she works hard...and she really did dance her best. Even if Kendall wasn't there Nia would not have won. There was some other little girl standing up on stage when the announced Kendall as the winner, who was the "runner up."

Cathy is all about the low blow...remember she purposely found out Chloe's music to use at the same competition. Probably staged too..but who really loses in all of this are the girls. They are talented, but are being used to make good TV.

The reason these girls lose is not just because of what happens in front of them with the mothers. 9 year old Kendall will someday be 13 year old Kendall and she will forever be the girl with the crazy mom. These girls will have to live the rest of their high school lives and college lives being FOREVER 9 year old dancers with crazy moms. Encountering strangers for the rest of their lives who believe the "reality" they are seeing on the show. Remember that other thread about the book "A Very Young Dancer?" and how she felt like she had to shake off that personna and hide from the fame of that book? And that book was nice and showed her in a nice way!

Responding to this confirms I watched the show -- which I just did online. I felt compelled because this topic has 29 pages of discussion and I am obviously missing something.

I think Holly was mad because Nia was put in the middle between the grown up (staged) fued [...]...but who really loses in all of this are the girls. They are talented, but are being used to make good TV.

I think it is very telling that the mother Holly said to the dance teacher (or maybe to the camera) that "this is real for her" meaning the adults know it is staged and hyped for ratings, but perhaps the the young dancers involved understand that to a lesser degree...

pucksandtutus

I think it is very telling that the mother Holly said to the dance teacher (or maybe to the camera) that "this is real for her" meaning the adults know it is staged and hyped for ratings, but perhaps the the young dancers involved understand that to a lesser degree...

I agree. This is how I took Holly's statements as well.

Anyone care to comment on the "Fan Dance"?