Ballet Talk for Dancers

Television: "Dancemoms" on Lifetime

Thank you Mydancingirl! I have wondered about the age thing as well!

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Momof3darlings

• learningdance

• Curandera

• trythis

Well, it it's just that she forgot her dance shoes, she won't be the first young dancer to forget her shoes for an SI audition, and she won't be the last . . . .

Abby said that 20,000 dancers audition every year for the Joffrey SI. Can that possibly be right? I thought 2,000 might be closer to the mark? Just wondering.

MyDancinGirl

I know that about 2,000 auditioned for the SAB audition and they only accepted 10% or 200 into the program. I am guessing that Abby Lee is talking about ALL of the Joffrey SI's. I know that if you are not selected into the regular SI program, you can be eligible for a lowere level SI. And then there are the Jazz SI's and probably Summer camps for the much younger students. I can't imagine 20,000 being just for the SI ballet program when SAB only gets around 2,000 applicants.

I didn't see this episode yet (no cable), but I do know that when my 14 yo auditioned for Joffrey-NYC last winter, we were told that every dancer 14 and under would recieve an acceptance as anyone 14 and under is eligible for the young dancer program. The purpose of the audition for the young dancer program is for placement, not acceptance.

So, based on the ages of the girls, if they were to do a ballet program at Joffrey this summer, I would suspect it would be the young dancer program, not the regular intensive. When my daughter attended for a short time last summer, there were a few young dancers ages probably 9-12ish who were staying in the same dorm. As a side note, the youngest of those did also have a parent staying with them as well.

Off to see if the episode is on-line yet!

trythis...I doubt you'd have to worry about any SI. The Abby Lee kids are too busy doing National competitions during the summer months to take time out to attend an SI.

So, next week, right after the season finale, Dance Moms-Miami starts their season. It looked even more dramatic than the Abby Lee shows.

One mom was making her daughter cry saying that she didn't do something good enough.

I don't know if I can stand watching that. At least the Abby Lee moms don't talk down to their kids (just to each other and Abby!).

Who said Maddie or Chloe are not talented and had poor (jazz) training? .

I think that these girls can hold their own in ballet in their age group. Someone mentioned that these dancers couldn't handle 45 min barres, etc because they are competition dancers. I don't think that's true. There is more and more mingling between ballet schools and competition schools. My daughter went to SI's with plenty of competition dancers. SI's like CPYB, Boston Ballet, etc.

Classically trained ballet students and competition students alike frequently end up together in places like Broadway, training programs like Alvin Ailey, etc. Many competition students end up at top levels in ballet SI's.

You didn't have to add the (jazz). It looks like their all around training is excellent.

Georgia, I think you raise some good points! I think we can get a little extra "picky" because these are "competition" kids. They are young students. Young students do not have perfect technique. Yes they sickle. Yes they don't always close their fifths. Yes they make mistakes. But just for comparison, search JKO level 2A on youtube & you can see that children who are aged 9-11, even in top ballet schools, don't have perfect technique no matter where they train!

Curious...how many years did Melissa Hough attend Kirov?

4 years with me. She may have attended the summer program one year, but don't quote me on that. She graduated a year early.

Momof3darlings

Yes, it's average age. And rarely do you find (at least in our area) such a disparity in ages within a group. Yes, younger dancers but younger dancers who can hold their own with the older dancers. That is not the case with Vivi-anne. Now in the production category it's different and in large groups sometimes. But in small groups, the directors in this area don't want their pieces watered down to the point that is needed to add an 8 year old in with the 16 year olds or a 6 year old in with the 14 year olds. Nor do they want to win that badly. So another created for TV moment. (at least for competitions in our area it would be a created for TV moment)

Momof3darlings

This is the facebook status of THE Joffrey Ballet today:

You are already a fan of THE Joffrey Ballet. So it goes without saying that we were in no way involved Tuesday night’s episode Dance Moms. Sorry Abby Lee!

Most of us knew that and assumed Joffrey school in NYC which is not affiliated with the company. But just in case newer folks didn't know that, seeing the status reminded me.

This is the facebook status of THE Joffrey Ballet today:

You are already a fan of THE Joffrey Ballet. So it goes without saying that we were in no way involved Tuesday night’s episode Dance Moms. Sorry Abby Lee!

Most of us knew that and assumed Joffrey school in NYC which is not affiliated with the company. But just in case newer folks didn't know that, seeing the status reminded me.

OUCH!!

Up thread when I said I couldn't imagine the girls doing 45 minutes of Barre, I didn't mean to say that they couldn't. But that standing at barre in one spot for 45 minutes would seem like a very long time.

gavotteindmajor

Does it seem to anyone else that the same person sings all their songs for the dances. Is it some sort of copyright loophole?