Ballet Talk for Dancers

Television: "Dancemoms" on Lifetime

Well, I have to tell you I'm shocked about this. On facebook, someone asked the JBS if there were really 20,000 students that auditioned. They answered 'yes, it's true'. You can now knock me over with a feather.

Wow - maybe 20,000 students total have auditioned for all of their intensives over the past however many years?

I will have to say that I'm somewhat irritated about the scholarship. I'm sure there are dozens upon dozens of young talented kids with an actual sustained interest in ballet who could have used that scholarship rather than thowing it away on an Abby Lee or Candy Apple dancer who has zero aspirations of becoming a professional ballerina. Not to say that Chloe isn't talented, but I really don't think she has any interest in seriously studying ballet.

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Momof3darlings

• learningdance

• Curandera

• trythis

I will have to say that I'm somewhat irritated about the scholarship. I'm sure there are dozens upon dozens of young talented kids with an actual sustained interest in ballet who could have used that scholarship rather than thowing it away on an Abby Lee or Candy Apple dancer who has zero aspirations of becoming a professional ballerina. Not to say that Chloe isn't talented, but I really don't think she has any interest in seriously studying ballet.

Yeah, like my daughter!

The woman on the panel I think is Jo Matos, Wasn't the man who chided the mom's for arguing in the hallway Davis Robertson, and the other gentleman is Brian McSween.

All audition season Joffrey has been blowing up my inbox with announcements of scholarships, teachers, locations. Joffrey will be running SI's in NYC, Georgia, Texas, LA, Bolshi and Florence Italy. Did i miss any? And they keep bragging that they have awarded a million dollars in scholarships. The emails I get even list each scholarship winner- which just makes me feel even worse that my DDs did not get offered anything....its like WOW all those dancers got scholarships and we didn't? Counter productive.

learningdance

To me some of these big national intensives are a big money grab. They pack classes, they lack substantive corrections, and they bank on parents' hope that acceptance into the alphabet soup intensive is an indicator of a child's talent. I think that Joffrey is just following the lead of others in developing what is essentially a business venture that is now getting a "product placement" on national tv. Disgusting if you ask me and so uncharacteristic of ballet.

Well, I have to tell you I'm shocked about this. On facebook, someone asked the JBS if there were really 20,000 students that auditioned. They answered 'yes, it's true'. You can now knock me over with a feather.

Wow - maybe 20,000 students total have auditioned for all of their intensives over the past however many years?

I don't know how you can say this. We don't know what her future intentions are. She is only a 10 year old little girl. Perhaps attending this SI will make her love ballet and decide to switch. Furthermore, are SIs only for girls who wish to become professional ballerinas? Can't every young dancer benefit from additional ballet training?

And, regarding the point shoes, Chloe is already en pointe. Yes, she is 10, but there have been a few clips of her en pointe throughout the show. I'm sure it was her mother buying the shoes, since she is the only one en pointe. Isn't it possible to buy shoes without the dancer present if you already know her size/brand? ( I don't have a lot of knowledge about this, As my dancers are 7 and 3.)

Edited by fuddyduddy

I will have to say that I'm somewhat irritated about the scholarship.

MamatoMary - I agree! This scholarship seemed to have been created for the show as somewhat of a showdown between the Abby Lee & Candy Apple dancers. There are so many deserving & hardworking students. Many families make huge sacrifices to pay for DK's training! All of the girls from this TV show are likely to receive scholarships to one place or another due to the publicity, while others go without.

fuddyduddy - I can't speak for others, but my experience with DD is that pointe shoe fitting can be tricky & complicated. Even the same model in the same size can fit differently. Several of Sansha's models are hand stitched, so the shoes will vary. Most of those girls are so young that feet grow and change as they dance. I'm sure the pointe experts on this board could jump in here, but I don't think it was a good idea to buy the shoes with out the dancer present.

To me some of these big national intensives are a big money grab. They pack classes, they lack substantive corrections, and they bank on parents' hope that acceptance into the alphabet soup intensive is an indicator of a child's talent. I think that Joffrey is just following the lead of others in developing what is essentially a business venture that is now getting a "product placement" on national tv. Disgusting if you ask me and so uncharacteristic of ballet.

Unfortunately, as disgusting as JBS's product placement may be, it all boils down to dollars and cents. JBS is, no doubt, getting a huge financial boost from the publicity. Hopefully, some really talented ballet dancers will benefit as a result. You are not wrong in characterizing some of the big SI's as money grabs. They are, even though wonderful talent gets discovered sometimes. While it would be nice if ballet could be above the fray of filthy lucre, it is not. JBS and the alphabet SI's are only doing what they need to do. Personally, I'd rather have them funded by consumers than the government. Ballet parents can chose to support this or not.

I watch this trainwreck of a show and find it infuriating and amusing at the same time. Abby Lee is not portrayed as a healthy person, physically or psychologically. I certainly hope, for her sake, that her character is a figment of the producer's imagination and some great acting and editing. If she really is as she appears to be, she needs help.

A post was removed because it was a quote of someone posting on a different message board. We do not authorize the taking of our members' post for use outside of BT4D, therefore we do not permit the posting of 3d party posting lifted from other boards.

Our discussions on BT4D are for and among our members. Please don't co-op a non-member's thoughts or opinions for discussion here in their absence. Thank you for understanding how this Board works.

chicaballet

I also thought Abby's behavior didn't look staged, and that those tears were not for Maddie but for losing control of her own reputation. She had placed it in the hands of the show's producers and they easily manipulated the scenario to make her look like a horrible teacher who only cared for one student, truthful or not.

I'm not a fan of Abby in any way, but she made a comment in a previous episode about wanting to light a fire under Chloe because she had something special in mind for her. Then we had the whole studio, even the older kids, stop everything to observe Maddie learning a solo. There wasn't any follow up to the "something special for Chloe" and it just looked like another example of Abby obsessing over her favorite. Wishful thinking but perhaps she really wanted both students to win the scholarship.

Maybe the truth (whatever that may be) is just too messy and complex for reality tv. Now give me Miami City Ballet, not Dance Moms Miami please.

learningdance

I think that Abby does really care about dance but I think that she has forgotten that training has to be the foundation of a young dancer's life, not performing. She has these kids essentially living a professional's life without the foundation of 16-20 years of training.

I also think that she has to know that the kids need way more ballet. She has trainined a lot of successful musical theater/broadway folks. It would be interesting to see if there is a real difference in their dancing in the last 2 years. I don't watch the show but if they are training consistently, there would be a contrast between now and then.

learningdance

I also thought Abby's behavior didn't look staged, and that those tears were not for Maddie but for losing control of her own reputation.

Insightful and probably true. She did have a good reputation with many in the dance world and I am betting that she is going to be trying to do some major damage repair OR she will start her own competition and convention. . . .In fact, that's exactly what I think she will follow this with. .. ABBY LEES' DANCE CONVENTION--THE DANCEMOMS WAY

I removed a post that was responding to a post I recently removed. Please bear with us until the Moderators have a chance to review the posts later this evening.

And, regarding the point shoes, Chloe is already en pointe. Yes, she is 10, but there have been a few clips of her en pointe throughout the show.

Not to argue, but I never saw Chloe in pointe shoes on the show. The only 'ballet' dance that I saw her do, she was wearing jazz booties.

I saw the pointe shoes as well, but I just thought it was a shot of pointe shoes someone else was buying, not that any of the moms were buying them. Ok, that was one part that I did giggle at, when the mom's didn't know what kind of leotard to buy for the audition. I chuckled that Maddie's mom wanted something "pretty", not plain. There are "pretty" black leotards, but I understand that in ballet auditions, simple is best.

Just did a little googling and I did find an "unofficial website" that said Chole started en point this year for "just a little bit per week".

But, I still don't remember seeing it on the show :nixweiss: