Ballet Talk for Dancers

Television: "Dancemoms" on Lifetime

gavotteindmajor

Is there a place to see this episode? I don't really follow the show, only watch it happens to be on, but I'd like to see the Joffrey audition O.o

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Momof3darlings

• learningdance

• Curandera

• trythis

It is usually on the lifetime website after Saturday.

Chloe was shown doing a front arabesque en pointe in one episode. And I'm pretty sure it was her, and not Maudie, en pointe on picture day. I remember because there was some uproar in another message board about how young she was to be en pointe.

Ahhh, I was thinking that she was dancing in one of the episodes en pointe and I somehow missed that! My bad :)

Oh hail. You have got to be kidding me.

Miss Persistent

I'm sorry to backtrack, but I have a question...

After having watched my third every Dancemoms episode, bootlegged on YouTube by someone basically videoing their tv (I can't access the free episodes on the website outside the US and don't have cable)...

I understand reality tv's ins and outs, editing, dramatisation etc etc etc....

Is there, honestly, in the US, a circuit where you can compete EVERY weekend, with a NEW solo, new costume, new group routine.... EVERY weekend? When do these poor children ever go to school? They must rehearse 5 days a week, travel 1 and compete 1, and not have a life... Please tell me this in-humanity of endless competitions is only for a short period of the year, and the rest of the time they can actually do something else! Or tell me that reality tv "time compression phenomenon" has struck again, and it actually takes a month to record each episode?

And I must add, having watched the episode called "wardrobe malfunction" that whatever THAT was in a blue tutu, it was not ballet.... Even after 3 glasses of wine... That was not ballet. Don't disgrace our beautiful art with such descriptions please.

And I must add, having watched the episode called "wardrobe malfunction" that whatever THAT was in a blue tutu, it was not ballet....

I have to tell you, my 8 year old said the same thing. (The performances are the only part of that show I'll let her watch) It was beautifully danced, that girl is talented, but I don't think it fair to call it ballet.

Just watched the "Abbeygeddon" episode online yesterday. Oh. My. Goodness. Has anyone mentioned to Abbey that Joffrey comes to Pittsburgh EVERY YEAR on their audition tour?

Momof3darlings

Are there competitions you could go to every weekend? Yes. Do most competition studios go to one every weekend? No. Most US competition schools will attend 4-5 competitions a year, generally from January-May with a trip to a Nationals over the summer. And they compete the same choreography Jan-May, NOT something new each week. The new costume, new solo and every week competition with that much travel was made for TV.

At DD2's former competition studio, the Senior level dancers had class 3 days a week and rehearsals on Saturday. If you took the optional hip-hop, that was on Saturday and made it 4 days a week of classes. As well, most do not travel all over the country to go to the competitions. Most will go to the ones close to them and possibly travel to one or two during that 5 month period. (by travel, the furthest her studio went was 3 hours away) In reality, it was less time on the weekends spent at competitions than it was when I was taking DD1 to SI auditions every weekend for 3 months and equalled out to be about the same amount of money spent on the two very different DDs journeys. :)

Miss Persistent

Thank you Clara and Momof3, I was desperately hoping it was as such! (that this was the exception - not the norm)

Marseas Mom

At DD#1's competition studio, classes are Monday-Thursday for senior level dancers. Saturday's are reserved for senior ballet class followed by competition rehearsals. DD's schedule for competition is very much in line with what Momof3darlings described above,with the exception of certain years when they do two nationals. The second national competition is optional but many of the dancers insist on going to this particular convention/competition held in NYC each July, because of the outstanding workshop and faculty and the opportunities available at this national finale.

A strong competition studio most likely could not "compete" with their peers if choreography was changed on a weekly basis. It is not a surprise that most of the girls forgot their solo's at some point in this show. IMHO this explains the less than excellent results Abbey's studio is experiencing this year. As for the extensive traveling and the newer competitions, could it be that the show has had difficulty finding competitions that will allow them to compete/film? As someone mentioned in an earlier post, perhaps this is what Abbey was really crying about and why she mentioned her reputation was at risk. Sorry Abbey, I do like watching the show but to expect your small groups and soloists to do well, against studios that spend 9 months or more rehearsing their competition dances, is ridiculous. In many cities across the US, the competition bar is very high, and it sounds as though ballet/technique training has been lacking since the show started. At this rate, how long will it be before these young girls will no longer be able to compete with their peers in the junior category of the competitions Clara 76 mentioned in post # 564?

I suppose the show could travel to international cities in order to find some competitions they could win, but good luck with that... :grinning:

Just saw epsiode 1 of Miami. I also wish we were watching Miami City Ballet, but that is too much to ask for!

I don't want to minimize their talent of any of these kids, but the Miami kids seem to be much stronger dancers than Abbey Lee dancers and Candy Apples combined. They also come across as more mature and focused (even the younger "jazz tango" duet kids), probably because they are slightly older? My DD thought they were more confident in their dancing skills than Abby Lee's group. Their choreography is less cutesy and more mature. There also seems to be more of a talent equilibrium across the Miami group, at least from what I've seen so far. There doesn't seem to be such a disparate range of talent like we saw with Abby's group, where there were standouts like Maddy, Chloe, and sometimes Brooke, and everyone else was just there along for the ride. The Miami instructors also seem to be more focused on technique and less so on theme-based choreography (the plight of the homeless as danced by 9 year olds). I like the fact that I saw one of them actually demonstrate the dance moves. I'm sure it doesn't hurt to have one of the main instructors to be much younger and fresh off the dance competition scene. I know it's only the first episode and all that may change, so I'll keep watching.

The moms are stll a mess.....(I will not touch that subject yet)

I have attended Nationals competition in Florida twice and noted the same thing...the dancers seem FAR more mature and confident in their dancing. There is a lot less cute and a lot more Latin sassy, (what we in the North or Midwest might call booty shaking, but it is more like Samba).

I can't even watch either show anymore. It is so 'stupid' (yes I said it). My DD is a fan, so she watches the taped episodes while I clean the house or do something while I hear it in the background. I have told her over and over that is it very staged and even she can see it and can tell. The 'audition' was just THE most staged, silly, staged, silly, (I can't say staged and silly enough!) thing I have ever seen.

Just saw epsiode 1 of Miami. I also wish we were watching Miami City Ballet, but that is too much to ask for!

I don't want to minimize their talent of any of these kids, but the Miami kids seem to be much stronger dancers than Abbey Lee dancers and Candy Apples combined. They also come across as more mature and focused (even the younger "jazz tango" duet kids), probably because they are slightly older? My DD thought they were more confident in their dancing skills than Abby Lee's group. Their choreography is less cutesy and more mature. There also seems to be more of a talent equilibrium across the Miami group, at least from what I've seen so far. There doesn't seem to be such a disparate range of talent like we saw with Abby's group, where there were standouts like Maddy, Chloe, and sometimes Brooke, and everyone else was just there along for the ride. The Miami instructors also seem to be more focused on technique and less so on theme-based choreography (the plight of the homeless as danced by 9 year olds). I like the fact that I saw one of them actually demonstrate the dance moves. I'm sure it doesn't hurt to have one of the main instructors to be much younger and fresh off the dance competition scene. I know it's only the first episode and all that may change, so I'll keep watching.

The moms are stll a mess.....(I will not touch that subject yet)

It is my understanding that the Miami show held auditions and cast dancers they felt would be good for the show. For the original dance moms show, they just took an existing team. That is why there is such disparity among those dancers.

One thing I've noticed this season is that the girls' technique has not improved (with the exception of the youngest ones). My children go to a competition school with very strong technique classes in ballet and jazz, and our competition dancers are required to take both. Every year we see out girls getting stronger and their technique improving. Abby Lee's girls have stopped learning how to dance, and are just leaning routine after routine.

I think these girls are ruining any chance they ever had of a career in dance.