Ballet Talk for Dancers
Clara 76

Television: "Dancemoms" on Lifetime

aa1999

Yeah, I'm sure at times that all of them may have earpieces. I don't know if this was just an issue with my TV or the way the show was playing or something, but when Abby asked Kendall why she had a bow in her hair, and Kendall said, "My mom put the bow in my hair," her voice sounded really strange - as if she were talking into a microphone or something....

stinger784

[ . . . ]

Aa1999, i think her voice was wierd because since she was speaking so low they had to boost the volume on the mic for her to be heard.

Edited by dancemaven
edited to remove reference to a previous post by another that was removed as hearsay.

aa1999

Yeah, you're probably right...

MyDancinGirl

Hmmmmm...this new show sounds like such a train wreck. Especially since the kids will "be coached by his/her mother and be responsible for choreography, costumes and music". YIKES!!!! I am a little surprised that Joffrey is putting their name on this. Are they really that hard up for enrollment or publicity??

HuckleberryDawg

I am quite certain I will not be able to tear my eyes away from this, even if I'll feel pathetic the whole time I watch. Train Wreck City, here we come! :-)

pucksandtutus

I am a little surprised that Joffrey is putting their name on this. Are they really that hard up for enrollment or publicity??

I wouldn't think so, considering they have 20,000 dancers audition for their summer intensive (or whatever Abby said).

I do find this very disappointing. I wouldn't think this would be the kind of publicity JBS would be looking for but,

obviously, I'm wrong.

ncdance

I don't see what judges who have worked with the Pussycat Dolls and Lady Gaga have to do with Joffrey Ballet School.

ballet valet

It is becoming clearer why Joffrey Ballet Company is so adamant that they have nothing to do with the Joffrey Ballet School.

nymom

I started this, so I'll also weigh in. I'll definitely watch out of curiousity but it sounds scary all the way around. My DS participated in the Joffrey NY SI (for younger kids) a number of years ago and really got a lot out of it. Since then, I know there have been changes, etc. It seems to me, as an outsider, that their prime interest is $/new students. I don't understand their marketing; they seem to 'give away' scholarships to anyone and everyone (not to offend anyone-but I would get emails constantly announcing the next set of 25 dancers who were awarded scholarships--kind of dilutes the point) and seem (from others' posts on this board) very unorganized.

I guess they enjoy the association with Dance Moms/Abby and the interest that is bringing to the school.

Yikes!

pucksandtutus

Joffrey Ballet School just posted the following on Facebook:

"Working with Abby Lee on her new LIFETIME show, JBS is providing a promising dancer a scholarship, is nurturing dance and directing them towards a real curriculum and higher standard."

So, I guess it's purely altruistic? :wink:

learningdance

Do ALDC's dancers want real curriculum and a higher standard? I think that they want exposure, immediate gratification, and trophies.

Let's say Joffrey said, "We will pay room and board for x Dancer to live in NYC and attend Joffrey but you can't have any cameras. You can't do competitions and your mom's drop you off at the door. But we promise you real curriculum and a higher standard. We promise that in 8 years you will be a sought after dancer and employed."

Would they do it? I doubt it.

camercad

It is becoming clearer why Joffrey Ballet Company is so adamant that they have nothing to do with the Joffrey Ballet School.

I've always wondered about the trademark/copyright legalities of the "Joffrey" name, especially since the company and the school are no longer affiliated.

Hillary1

I feel sorry for the 12 new victims, um children. It sounds like 'Survivor' dance-auditions with weekly eliminations played out on international television.

While perhaps the goal is to jump start a child's dance career, I worry these children will suffer long term heartache and damage from this. It just makes me sad. (Perhaps the children are more resilient than I give them credit for; at least I hope so!)

SingerWhoMoves

It seems that the Joffrey school wants any publicity it can get- seeing as how it was also a major plot point on Bunheads....