Ballet Talk for Dancers
Our Thanks and Gratitude to Everyone Who Has Contributed to Our 2020 Fundraiser <3 <3 <3
Clara 76

Television: "Dancemoms" on Lifetime

MyDancinGirl

I was a little irked at last night's show during the whole "ballet barre" scene. Abby kept going on an on about the girl's technique and how she needed them to do more ballet. Cut to the next scene and all the girls are in bare feet, no tights and not even really doing "ballet". Pretty pathetic.

balletdancer1040

I also found the " you need more ballet technique, lets get the barre out" segment more ridiculous than even the rest of this "show". It jumped out at me when they showed them at the barre, they were jumping/or some kind of excercise that looked as far from a ballet barre as you can get. Made me cringe! (and yet I still watch).....

learningdance

It is becoming clearer why Joffrey Ballet Company is so adamant that they have nothing to do with the Joffrey Ballet School.

I've always wondered about the trademark/copyright legalities of the "Joffrey" name, especially since the company and the school are no longer affiliated.

Yes. . I wouldn't go near Joffrey NYC with a 10 foot pole for ANYTHING. . . .

Kat-Ballet

I think most of the show is fake. I know for a fact that they made Abby do the (horrible) "pyramid". I think the name in real life is different too. It makes all dance moms look really bad! My mom is afraid to wear my dance schools jacket around (beause she got it before the show came out and it says "Dance Mom").

I have to admitt that i still watch it every week because i think they still are good dancers and i could learn something from the corrections they get or even the tricks they do.

Edited by Kat-Ballet

MamatoMary

We recorded this episode and got around to watching it last night (DD10 and me). I finally hit my limit. If I witnessed ANY teacher (school, dance, etc.) verbally abusing a child like Abby treats those children I would report them to the authorities yet she treats these children poorly week in and week out. Chastising a child for not performing because of a back injury is appalling and practically taunting a child with a broken toe (I wonder if Abby really had planned on giving them a duet before the accident) is unnecessary. So ... this show is now officially banned at my house. It will be the first TV show I've had to use the parental control feature on.

dkd

I decided after the first show to not let my dd (12) watch the show!!, but last weeks episode was about my limit also.

I think alot of that was staged and I'm sure they have told the kids to ignore anything that Abby says.

After the back hurting, laying on the floor scene, they showed Brooke dancing around the dressing room. Of course that could have been edited in differently than from how it actually occurred.

Mobadt

Though I won't censure the program in my house because I feel it's a good way to open the door to talking about what is totally wrong, (I have older dancers too) I certainly understand anyone who would. It really is ridiculous! The whole 'ballet' scene, like MyDancinGirl and others have said, was not anything resembling ballet and I wouldn't have been surprised if they shot that just for 5 seconds, then went on to doing something else. ALDC has gotten so much more than 15 minutes out of this show.

I was really bothered by Joffrey Ballet School in NY's relationship with ALDC. I would certainly think with 20,000 auditionees every year they wouldn't NEED to partner with this show or anything else, so I am very suspect of that figure. While I am sure the training at JBS is very good I can't imagine that any of the ballet staff would be happy with all this publicity. I don't really believe that any publicity is good publicity. But unfortunately it seems to be.

trythis

There is a new dance show too where Abbey Lee is judging a competition of dancers. Prize is a scholarship to Joffrey. I, too, am dissappointed in Joffrey's relationship to this tv show and this woman.

snp1221

I think the worst moment of that show was when Abby said, "We're working on your ballet technique this week!" and followed it with, "Get those hips up" when the girls were doing heel stretches! My 11 yo caught it immediately and said, "Sounds more like you're working on KILLING their ballet technique this week!" The show is completely scripted and fake -- they even report the results of the competitions incorrectly.

Kat-Ballet

This week when Abby decided they were going to do a hip-hop dance for their annual concert I was almost excited to see a different genre preformed, on the show. But, that excitement only lasted until they actually preformed the number. Abby's idea of "hip-hop" was a... interesting version of jazz. One or two phrases had movements that slightly resembled hip-hop. Mostly the dance was filled with many tricks, kicks, and pirouettes, like always.

stinger784

It did not bother me that much. They need to learn sometime and better to do it a recital than trying it at a competition.

kylara7

I was under the weather and home sick last week and watched this program for the first time (out of morbid curiosity)...and YIKES. I don't have kids and am not THAT old (yet...30-something) but the dancing and costumes seemed really really creepily sexualized for little girls. I know it's a reality show and overplayed for the TV audience but it made me feel uncomfortable. I guess I envisioned tap routines or something more age-appropriate and had no idea. Wowzers.

ArtofMoving

Was anyone else cringing last night when Abby and the new mom kept talking about "ronds day jambes"?

gasguzzler

DD and I were cracking up.

trythis

I cringed at what passed for fifth position