Ballet Talk for Dancers

Dancing in socks??

There was someone in the advanced class where I take a beginner class dancing in socks. Plain old socks. It's a Marley floor so no real danger of slipping, I guess. I was just surprised to see it, esp. as the person is a pro. Is this something folks do now that the Marley floors are common?

Maybe the dancer had a problem at the feet (like a blister on the heel) which makes it painful to dance in slippers. Or forgot the shoes at home...

As Claude says they probably forgot their shoes...I have done this MORE than once!!! ;)

As Claude says they probably forgot their shoes...I have done this MORE than once!!! ;)

I really don't think that was it. Well, anyway, it didn't hurt her any--she's a gorgeous dancer! :)

The competitive "company" girls at the competition studio I dance at...(company used very loosely) sometimes dance purposefully in socks or half of a sock...helps them do "spins" better...

:)

In my jazz class, we warm up in socks because the teacher thinks jazz sneakers do not allow good foot articulation. We do lots of tendus, degagés, frappés, relevés and such in our warm up. After warm up we put on our jazz sneakers.

Every now and then I like to take barre (or at least the first half of barre) in thin socks because I can feel how I'm working through my feet better when there is a less between me and the floor. But I don't do this regularly, and I certainly wouldn't take an entire ballet class in socks! Even on a Marley I would be terrified of slipping.

The only other time I dance in socks is if I am rehearsing a modern piece that is supposed to be done barefoot but is particularly brutal on the skin of my feet. Socks are never as secure and I'm always wary of loosing traction, but they are the lesser of two evils when I can't afford to have my feet all torn up.

PLEASE do NOT dance in socks - especially on Marley flooring. When a new dancer without the proper shoes in adult class took their first class in socks, I didn't mind, but when my pre-pro girls would rehearse in socks on their own time, I became very unhappy. Something about socks made horrible slick spots on the Marley. I don't know how it happened, but without a doubt, socks would turn Marley into slippery "Death Spots" as I called them. I'd have to get the floor completely re cleaned using that yellow liquid substance that kind of restores the "non slip" or "grip" into the floors - but it's expensive compared to normal floor cleaners.

LaFilleSylphide, what IS that yellow stuff you use to make the marley less slippery?

re: socks - I have seen quite a few professional dancers train in socks. Especially those who are working in companies which do more modern. The dancers are generally classically trained, very good dancers, but prefer to dance in socks. Whatever.

I do not allow them to wear only socks in my classes, as on the dance floors i teach on (also marley, but perhaps not as "high quality"??) the wearing of socks also causes "death spots".

-d-

I think it was called "Rosco All Purpose Floor Cleaner". It came in a big handled jug... like a gallon or something.

Here's a link with the picture too! I don't remember it being only $30... that seems not horrible since I think we used it diluted. For some reason, I recall it being so pricey! Maybe it gets pricey because we needed a lot of it.

http://www.rosebrand.com/product325/All-Pu...fo=Floor%2bCare

I have once taken an open class with a young teacher who taught in socks. I found it uncommon, usually teachers either wear jazz shoes, ballet slippers (most actually don`t!) or teaching shoes with a heel.

thank you LaFilleSylphide for that information! :pinch:

they do not seem to have that stuff over here, but perhaps I can find something similar.

-d-

A while back I almost wondered if I COULD just dance in socks. I kept buying shoes at the dancewear store that seemed to fit at the store but hurt my big toe when actually dancing in them, kept getting bigger and bigger pair. But I finally got a couple pairs that don't hurt my toe... much. I wonder if there's something wrong with my big toes, slight pressure makes them hurt.