Ballet Talk for Dancers to close ×
Ballet Talk for Dancers

Receiving Corrections

Toitoi43

Hi there. My 12-year old dd has just started a new ballet studio and really loves it. She receives a lot of corrections and has been trying to apply them but says it's hard to remember all of them. I know it's a good thing to receive corrections, however I was wondering how much is too much? We came from a recreational studio where many corrections weren't given so I know my dd needs to work on her technique. I keep on reminding her that receiving corrections is a great thing but a little doubt is starting to creep into her head. "Am I getting so many corrections because I'm so bad?" She is also one of the younger dancers in her class. Thoughts?

Whenever my daughter has moved studios she has gotten a lot of corrections at first. Some of it is to remove bad habits and some to get her to do things the way the studio likes. So a lot of corrections at the beginning are not a bad thing. As far as trying to remeber all the corrections, have her keep a corrections notebook. I found a purse sized notebook with ballet slippers on it for my daughter. She writes down the corrections she receives and looks over them before class so she knows what she needs to focus on.

My dd's teacher has told her that it is a very good thing to recieve corrections. It means that the teacher is interested in you and your progress. She also said it is not a good thing to NOT recieve corrections - it means the teacher has lost interest in you.

Thanks for the feedback. Kandi, my dd has been keeping a corrections journal but she says it's difficult to remember and actually apply ALL of the corrections during class. I'm hoping with time, the corrections will be made and that they will become second nature.

She also said it is not a good thing to NOT recieve corrections - it means the teacher has lost interest in you.

And sometimes it means the teacher knows the dancer's plate is full (in terms of corrections) and she needs time to process/implement and/or develop the muscle memory for the ones she's been given.

My DD also switched ballet school. Monday was her first class and she complained about receiving many corrections. There were 4, according to her, which does not seem like many in my books, but perhaps a lot to a 7 yr old who is not used to this at her old school. I try to encourage DD by telling her that is how she will learn. Perhaps writing them down will help her. Thanks for the tip !

Corrections:

1. Are necessary in order to improve

2. Are to be implemented immediately when given, and then attempt to hold onto that correction for the rest of class and beyond

3. Are important to hear so that your brain can continue to remind your body- "Brain smart- body not-so-much". Muscle memory can't occur until a dancer has done the given movement correctly enough times. That number will vary from dancer to dancer, but-

4. Are to be celebrated! It means you're that much closer to being able to accomplish your dance goals

5. Are a dancer's homework!

Wonderful explanation Clara76! I also second the journal suggestion. All the students at DD's ballet studio kept one. It contained both corrections, terminology and sometimes combinations that were tricky for the dancer.

It is also important that the teacher not give too many corrections. Students must be challenged to master the simple corrections first and then move forward with the next phase. The importance of mastering the given corrections before complicating matters with more is immensely valuable.

DD just had her second class with a different teacher (there are 2 different teachers for each class per week). For some reason, probably because the 2nd teacher is friendlier, DD warmed up to her more quickly. When I asked her how many corrections she had this time, she said 5, which is more than the last teacher. Normally, I would never ask a question like that but it seemed to bother her so much at the last class. So now I assume it must be how the corrections were delivered, and not the frequency itself. She also finally spilled her guts about why she was unhappy. She said she was not meant to stand in a corner all day (meaning against the wall at the barre), she was meant to do her "fancy moves in the middle of the floor" (most of which she invented at home). I could not help but have a big smile on my face when I heard this. My gut tells me that she is in the right place. Working on the basics is important and part of the training is receiving corrections.

Edited by YPK